Staff Editorial 10/6: Bank fees just don’t please

Natalia Leal withdraws money from the ATM on October 5, 2011. "I heard they'€™re charging $5.00 a month now, which ends up to be $60.00 a year, that'€™s ridiculous. I don'€™t care how convenient this ATM is, I'€™m switching banks."€ Natalie Edgar//The Miami Hurricane

As if money wasn’t tight enough already, banks will start charging debit card users $5 per month for purchases made with their card in 2012.

Bank of America is the most recent bank to make this decision and, as UM’s on-campus bank, it affects most of us very directly.

If we step back and take a look at recent trends, this new fee is not surprising. Free checking accounts are a thing of the past; according to a report relased by The Miami Herald, only 45 percent are free, which is down from 75 percent in 2009. ATM fees have also been on the rise.

However, being charged for spending our money seems ridiculous.

New federal regulations limit the amount banks can charge merchants when a customer uses his or her debit card.

This will most likely lower Bank of America’s revenue and the new fee is being enacted to offset this. In other words, customers are now responsible for paying for what merchants used to.

Should we be saddled with this responsibility? It feels more like a punishment than anything else.

The use of debit cards will probably decrease once this fee goes into effect, with people either turning to cash, checks or credit cards to make their purchases.

Credit cards present the same ease and convenience as debit cards, but may have some unfortunate consequences. If we become reliant on credit, it sure won’t be doing our economy any favors.

One would think (and hope) that Bank of America would keep us broke college students in mind when figuring out exemptions from the fee, but think again.

Only certain premium accounts will be exempt; that is, accounts with more than a specific amount of money in them.

These figures haven’t been released yet, but it’s probably safe to assume that an account filled with minimum wage paychecks from an on-campus job won’t cut it.

If you still want to use a debit card, the University Credit Union is an option with fewer fees. Changing banks may be a hassle, but $5 per month adds up.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...