Ludacris grabs number one spot

Hurricane Productions and Student Government have announced that Ludacris will headline this year’s Homecoming concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. Courtesy Creative Artist Agency.

Hurricane Productions (HP) and Student Government (SG) collaborated to collect more than 3,000 surveys designed to gauge students’ top choices for this fall’s Homecoming act. Ludacris was selected after making the top-five list, although Pitbull, Avicii and Lupe Fiasco were among the most popular options.

Ludacris has a bevy of hit singles like “What’s Your Fantasy?” “Money Maker,” “How Low Can You Go?” and “Number One Spot,” numerous collaborations with major recording artists – Enrique Iglesias, Usher and Pharrell, to name a few – and the occasional movie cameo (“2 Fast 2 Furious”). He will be headlining this year’s concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. on the Green.

“HP tried really hard to get the opinion of the student body this year after what I guess you can call somewhat of a fiasco last year,” said Kris Martin, head of concerts for HP. “We’ve been proactive to please the general student body.”

Last November, HP presented Ms. Lauryn Hill as the concert’s performer, but students were disappointed in that selection; Hill arrived more than an hour late and played many unfamiliar songs. Many students left early.

“Not enough people knew her or her music and she was from the ‘90s,” sophomore Vidhya Krishnan said. “I waited for so long and then it wasn’t worth it. The year before was Common. So from Common to Lauryn Hill, there was a disparity in star power, so I guess people were let down.”

Ludacris, however, is expected to garner a much larger audience.

“We’re really excited to have a mainstream act coming that has a really good, loyal fan base,” Martin said. “There have already been rumors circulating about who the artist is and certain people have already heard. The buzz has been phenomenal.”

Rudy Currence of Mike Chek Ent., DTP and Island Def Jam Records will open the show at 9:30 p.m. and will be followed by Ludacris shortly after.

“I’m definitely going to go to the concert this year,” Krishnan said. “It’s going to be crazy.”

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...