Ludacris grabs number one spot

Hurricane Productions and Student Government have announced that Ludacris will headline this year’s Homecoming concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. Courtesy Creative Artist Agency.

Hurricane Productions (HP) and Student Government (SG) collaborated to collect more than 3,000 surveys designed to gauge students’ top choices for this fall’s Homecoming act. Ludacris was selected after making the top-five list, although Pitbull, Avicii and Lupe Fiasco were among the most popular options.

Ludacris has a bevy of hit singles like “What’s Your Fantasy?” “Money Maker,” “How Low Can You Go?” and “Number One Spot,” numerous collaborations with major recording artists – Enrique Iglesias, Usher and Pharrell, to name a few – and the occasional movie cameo (“2 Fast 2 Furious”). He will be headlining this year’s concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. on the Green.

“HP tried really hard to get the opinion of the student body this year after what I guess you can call somewhat of a fiasco last year,” said Kris Martin, head of concerts for HP. “We’ve been proactive to please the general student body.”

Last November, HP presented Ms. Lauryn Hill as the concert’s performer, but students were disappointed in that selection; Hill arrived more than an hour late and played many unfamiliar songs. Many students left early.

“Not enough people knew her or her music and she was from the ‘90s,” sophomore Vidhya Krishnan said. “I waited for so long and then it wasn’t worth it. The year before was Common. So from Common to Lauryn Hill, there was a disparity in star power, so I guess people were let down.”

Ludacris, however, is expected to garner a much larger audience.

“We’re really excited to have a mainstream act coming that has a really good, loyal fan base,” Martin said. “There have already been rumors circulating about who the artist is and certain people have already heard. The buzz has been phenomenal.”

Rudy Currence of Mike Chek Ent., DTP and Island Def Jam Records will open the show at 9:30 p.m. and will be followed by Ludacris shortly after.

“I’m definitely going to go to the concert this year,” Krishnan said. “It’s going to be crazy.”

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Ludacris grabs number one spot”

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...