Ludacris grabs number one spot

Hurricane Productions and Student Government have announced that Ludacris will headline this year’s Homecoming concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. Courtesy Creative Artist Agency.

Hurricane Productions (HP) and Student Government (SG) collaborated to collect more than 3,000 surveys designed to gauge students’ top choices for this fall’s Homecoming act. Ludacris was selected after making the top-five list, although Pitbull, Avicii and Lupe Fiasco were among the most popular options.

Ludacris has a bevy of hit singles like “What’s Your Fantasy?” “Money Maker,” “How Low Can You Go?” and “Number One Spot,” numerous collaborations with major recording artists – Enrique Iglesias, Usher and Pharrell, to name a few – and the occasional movie cameo (“2 Fast 2 Furious”). He will be headlining this year’s concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. on the Green.

“HP tried really hard to get the opinion of the student body this year after what I guess you can call somewhat of a fiasco last year,” said Kris Martin, head of concerts for HP. “We’ve been proactive to please the general student body.”

Last November, HP presented Ms. Lauryn Hill as the concert’s performer, but students were disappointed in that selection; Hill arrived more than an hour late and played many unfamiliar songs. Many students left early.

“Not enough people knew her or her music and she was from the ‘90s,” sophomore Vidhya Krishnan said. “I waited for so long and then it wasn’t worth it. The year before was Common. So from Common to Lauryn Hill, there was a disparity in star power, so I guess people were let down.”

Ludacris, however, is expected to garner a much larger audience.

“We’re really excited to have a mainstream act coming that has a really good, loyal fan base,” Martin said. “There have already been rumors circulating about who the artist is and certain people have already heard. The buzz has been phenomenal.”

Rudy Currence of Mike Chek Ent., DTP and Island Def Jam Records will open the show at 9:30 p.m. and will be followed by Ludacris shortly after.

“I’m definitely going to go to the concert this year,” Krishnan said. “It’s going to be crazy.”

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Ludacris grabs number one spot”

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...