Ludacris grabs number one spot

Hurricane Productions and Student Government have announced that Ludacris will headline this year’s Homecoming concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. Courtesy Creative Artist Agency.

Hurricane Productions (HP) and Student Government (SG) collaborated to collect more than 3,000 surveys designed to gauge students’ top choices for this fall’s Homecoming act. Ludacris was selected after making the top-five list, although Pitbull, Avicii and Lupe Fiasco were among the most popular options.

Ludacris has a bevy of hit singles like “What’s Your Fantasy?” “Money Maker,” “How Low Can You Go?” and “Number One Spot,” numerous collaborations with major recording artists – Enrique Iglesias, Usher and Pharrell, to name a few – and the occasional movie cameo (“2 Fast 2 Furious”). He will be headlining this year’s concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. on the Green.

“HP tried really hard to get the opinion of the student body this year after what I guess you can call somewhat of a fiasco last year,” said Kris Martin, head of concerts for HP. “We’ve been proactive to please the general student body.”

Last November, HP presented Ms. Lauryn Hill as the concert’s performer, but students were disappointed in that selection; Hill arrived more than an hour late and played many unfamiliar songs. Many students left early.

“Not enough people knew her or her music and she was from the ‘90s,” sophomore Vidhya Krishnan said. “I waited for so long and then it wasn’t worth it. The year before was Common. So from Common to Lauryn Hill, there was a disparity in star power, so I guess people were let down.”

Ludacris, however, is expected to garner a much larger audience.

“We’re really excited to have a mainstream act coming that has a really good, loyal fan base,” Martin said. “There have already been rumors circulating about who the artist is and certain people have already heard. The buzz has been phenomenal.”

Rudy Currence of Mike Chek Ent., DTP and Island Def Jam Records will open the show at 9:30 p.m. and will be followed by Ludacris shortly after.

“I’m definitely going to go to the concert this year,” Krishnan said. “It’s going to be crazy.”

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

The young man convicted of killing former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor returned to ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...