Facebook profile changing face

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s profile displays the new Timeline layout. The changes will highlight memorable events in one’s life. Screenshot from Facebook.com

In the last two weeks, Facebook has undergone numerous changes, such as the addition of a ticker on the side of the homepage and the option to subscribe to certain friends.

Now, the social networking site is announcing its biggest change to date.

At the 2011 Facebook F8 conference, CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the addition of the Facebook Timeline, which is a monumental shift in the way a user’s profile is organized.

“Timeline is the story of your life, and it has three pieces: all your stories, all your apps and a new way to express who you are,” Zuckerberg said during the keynote address of the F8 conference.

The profile page will now be split into two columns with a timeline stretching down the middle.

Information shown will include statuses, updates, photos, videos and will essentially document a person’s entire life.

According to CNN, “Facebook will become a record of your existence: all your memories, your victories and your defeats, your loves, your losses and everything in between.”

This new virtual scrapbook will also use a logarithm to display the most memorable moments of an individual’s life.

A person can also include information that occurred before the profile was created or was not added at all.

The biggest issue Facebook is facing is privacy. According to a recent article in The Washington Post, “Some apps, such as The Washington Post’s Social Reader or Hulu will let you consume news and media content right from Facebook and tell your friends what items you’re reading, watching or listening.”

However, the addition of these apps is completely optional.

While some users have access, the timeline is not yet available for all users. Some students do not like the changes.

“I don’t think Facebook should change,” freshman Allie Gerspach said. “I like the way it is now. It’s social networking; it doesn’t need a timeline.”

Other users do not mind the change.

“I don’t really mind,” said Sophie Juneau, a first-year architecture student. “I just go there to maintain contacts.”

Danielle Poreh

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Facebook profile changing face”

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...