Chef prepares plantain soup

Courtesy Kevin F. Mason

“Kiss the Chef” is a new venture that pairs me with local artists and personalities inside their kitchens, finding out the culinary delights that they have in the little recipe books in their brains.

Why me?  I’m a foodie with a palate for everything from Tibetan momos and Peruvian chaufa, to Indian kulfi and American Twizzlers.  I am also a student at the Frost School of Music and program director for WVUM 90.5 FM, so this combines my culinary savvy with performers and personalities, who make Miami such an artistically forward place to be.

Our first chef is Dino Felipe, a Miami-based pop innovator who started upon a nationwide tour last week and wraps up on Oct. 30 at Siberia in New Orleans, La.  Felipe is a rare musician whose sheer output and cut-and-paste aesthetics are hard to pin down.  With more than 50 albums to his name and a Pitchfork rating higher than Kanye West, base descriptions of his style can only confuse the situation further. His new album, “Onhcet D,” just dropped on Otto Von Schirach’s Triangle Earth label this week.

He has a plantain tree in his backyard that is ready for harvest at his home in Westchester, and I joined him for a hot soup on a cool day, where he outlined the following recipe:

Plantain Soup

Five plantains

Three medium white onions

Three sweet potatoes

Six cloves of garlic

Four carrots

Eight cups water

Three teaspoons of powered black pepper

Two teaspoons of powered red pepper

Two pinches cumin (Dino likes to do throw in two pinches)

Two pinches curry powder

∞ salt to taste

To make the garnish:

1. Use six to eight leaves of sage.

2. Fry in olive oil for two minutes until crisp.

3. Strain on towel, add salt.

To make the soup:

1. Peel and slice all vegetables in 1/4 inch chunks, and peel and dice garlic.

2. Boil water with one tablespoon olive oil.

3. Add vegetables, boil high for 10 minutes.

4. Stir with wooden spoon, reduce to low-medium heat.

5. Let simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every five minutes to develop thick consistency. 

Serve hot in a bowl with garnish of sage

Chef analysis:  Consistency is thick and cumin is the overpowering spice.  An addition of ginger, nutmeg, or dare-I-say pineapple, would bring out the sweet potatoes a bit more.  Adding a grilled and chopped filet of fish or lentils would give a nice, well-balanced protein to the meal.

To check out Dino Filipe, visit dinofelipe.withtank.com

Kevin F. Mason

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...