Sports briefs 9/29

Football
Kickoff for the game at Virginia Tech on Oct. 8 will be at 3:30 p.m. on ESPN/ABC. Miami will travel up to Blacksburg to try and end over a two-game losing streak against the Hokies. First, the Canes will close out their homestand this Saturday against Bethune-Cookman. The game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.
Women’s Basketball
With the start of the season just over a month away, the women’s basketball team is starting to build up some preseason hype. After returning all the players from last year’s squad and adding some promising freshmen and transfer students, Miami is being considered a consensus top 10 team. The Canes’ highest preseason ranking is in Slam Magazine, where they are No. 4.
Volleyball
After shooting up a spot to the No. 20 position in the AVCA Poll, the Hurricanes volleyball team is preparing for a weekend homestand against ACC foes Wake Forest and Duke.
The Canes will take on the Demon Deacons on Friday at 7 p.m. Hurricane Force will be sponsoring a tailgate outside of the Knight Sports Complex beginning at 6 p.m. On Sunday, Miami will close out their homestand with a match against the Blue Devils at 1:30 p.m. Both games can be heard live on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Soccer
Coming off two straight losses away to Duke and Wake Forest, the Hurricanes will look to start a new winning streak at home this week when they play host to N.C. State and North Carolina. The Wolfpack come into town to face the Canes on Thursday at 7 p.m. The Tar Heels will then make their appearance at Cobb Field on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...