News Briefs 9/29

Flu shots, that is. Free flu shots are now available at the Student Health Service and in the locations below:
4Tuesday: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Wednesday: Law School Student Lounge 11:30-1:30 p.m.
4Oct. 6: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Oct. 10:  Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m. and 2:30-4 p.m.
Miami Ballroom will host its first Rumba and Tango dance lesson for free on Thursday, Sept. 29 at 6 p.m. in the UC Flamingo Ballrooms. The first lesson is free; dues are $25 per semester for students and $50 for non-students. No experience is necessary. For more information, visit or email
Applications for Homecoming King and Queen are now available in the Department of Student Activities (STIC, UC 209).
All students are encouraged to apply and bring their two-minute talent – dance, theatre, vocal and instrumental performances included – on Oct. 11 and Oct. 12.
Applications are due Oct. 7 at 5 p.m. in the STIC. For more information, contact the King and Queen chairs: Daniel Beldy at and Sophianna Bishop at, or Niurka Monteserin at
Omnicron Delta Kappa (ODK), a prestigious UM honor society, is now accepting nominations for new members.
Nominees must represent character, leadership, scholarship, fellowship and display a dedication to democratic ideals.
They also need to be in the top 35 percent of their class and have completed at least 60 credits. Nomination forms require the nominee’s name, student ID number and social security number; letters of recommendation should not exceed 300 words.
All nominations must be sent in via email to Liliana Oyarzun, vice president of selections, at by 5 p.m. on Monday.
Iron Arrow, UM’s highest honor, is also accepting nominations for the Fall semester. Nominate any outstanding ‘Cane who deserves the recognition. Include a one page explanation of why this person deserves the honor; all entrees should be confidential. Email recommendations to by 5 p.m. on Tuesday.
Amaury de Souza will speak on Brazilian politics, the country’s economic rise and international affairs on Thursday from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the McLamore Executive Dining Hall on the third floor of the School of Business. The lecture is presented by the Center for Latin American Studies in collaboration with UM’s Center for Hemispheric Policy.
Serving others
The National Gandhi Day of Service committee is gearing up to host its annual event this Sunday; registration begins at 9 a.m., but if you want to participate, register online at  All volunteers will receive breakfast, lunch and a free Gandhi Day T-shirt. For more information, contact
Jonathan Borge may be contacted at