News Briefs 9/29

FREE SHOTS
Flu shots, that is. Free flu shots are now available at the Student Health Service and in the locations below:
4Tuesday: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Wednesday: Law School Student Lounge 11:30-1:30 p.m.
4Oct. 6: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Oct. 10:  Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m. and 2:30-4 p.m.
SHAKE IT
Miami Ballroom will host its first Rumba and Tango dance lesson for free on Thursday, Sept. 29 at 6 p.m. in the UC Flamingo Ballrooms. The first lesson is free; dues are $25 per semester for students and $50 for non-students. No experience is necessary. For more information, visit miamiballroom.web.com or email miamiballroom@gmail.com
BE ROYAL
Applications for Homecoming King and Queen are now available in the Department of Student Activities (STIC, UC 209).
All students are encouraged to apply and bring their two-minute talent – dance, theatre, vocal and instrumental performances included – on Oct. 11 and Oct. 12.
Applications are due Oct. 7 at 5 p.m. in the STIC. For more information, contact the King and Queen chairs: Daniel Beldy at dbeldy5@gmail.com and Sophianna Bishop at s.bishop3@umiami.edu, or Niurka Monteserin at n.monteserin@umiami.edu.
GET NOMINATED
Omnicron Delta Kappa (ODK), a prestigious UM honor society, is now accepting nominations for new members.
Nominees must represent character, leadership, scholarship, fellowship and display a dedication to democratic ideals.
They also need to be in the top 35 percent of their class and have completed at least 60 credits. Nomination forms require the nominee’s name, student ID number and social security number; letters of recommendation should not exceed 300 words.
All nominations must be sent in via email to Liliana Oyarzun, vice president of selections, at l.oyarzun@umiami.edu by 5 p.m. on Monday.
HIGHEST HONOR
Iron Arrow, UM’s highest honor, is also accepting nominations for the Fall semester. Nominate any outstanding ‘Cane who deserves the recognition. Include a one page explanation of why this person deserves the honor; all entrees should be confidential. Email recommendations to ironarrow@miami.edu by 5 p.m. on Tuesday.
BRAZILIAN BOOM
Amaury de Souza will speak on Brazilian politics, the country’s economic rise and international affairs on Thursday from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the McLamore Executive Dining Hall on the third floor of the School of Business. The lecture is presented by the Center for Latin American Studies in collaboration with UM’s Center for Hemispheric Policy.
Serving others
The National Gandhi Day of Service committee is gearing up to host its annual event this Sunday; registration begins at 9 a.m., but if you want to participate, register online at umgandhiday.com.  All volunteers will receive breakfast, lunch and a free Gandhi Day T-shirt. For more information, contact umgandhiday@gmail.com.
Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “News Briefs 9/29”

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...