News Briefs 9/29

FREE SHOTS
Flu shots, that is. Free flu shots are now available at the Student Health Service and in the locations below:
4Tuesday: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Wednesday: Law School Student Lounge 11:30-1:30 p.m.
4Oct. 6: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Oct. 10:  Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m. and 2:30-4 p.m.
SHAKE IT
Miami Ballroom will host its first Rumba and Tango dance lesson for free on Thursday, Sept. 29 at 6 p.m. in the UC Flamingo Ballrooms. The first lesson is free; dues are $25 per semester for students and $50 for non-students. No experience is necessary. For more information, visit miamiballroom.web.com or email miamiballroom@gmail.com
BE ROYAL
Applications for Homecoming King and Queen are now available in the Department of Student Activities (STIC, UC 209).
All students are encouraged to apply and bring their two-minute talent – dance, theatre, vocal and instrumental performances included – on Oct. 11 and Oct. 12.
Applications are due Oct. 7 at 5 p.m. in the STIC. For more information, contact the King and Queen chairs: Daniel Beldy at dbeldy5@gmail.com and Sophianna Bishop at s.bishop3@umiami.edu, or Niurka Monteserin at n.monteserin@umiami.edu.
GET NOMINATED
Omnicron Delta Kappa (ODK), a prestigious UM honor society, is now accepting nominations for new members.
Nominees must represent character, leadership, scholarship, fellowship and display a dedication to democratic ideals.
They also need to be in the top 35 percent of their class and have completed at least 60 credits. Nomination forms require the nominee’s name, student ID number and social security number; letters of recommendation should not exceed 300 words.
All nominations must be sent in via email to Liliana Oyarzun, vice president of selections, at l.oyarzun@umiami.edu by 5 p.m. on Monday.
HIGHEST HONOR
Iron Arrow, UM’s highest honor, is also accepting nominations for the Fall semester. Nominate any outstanding ‘Cane who deserves the recognition. Include a one page explanation of why this person deserves the honor; all entrees should be confidential. Email recommendations to ironarrow@miami.edu by 5 p.m. on Tuesday.
BRAZILIAN BOOM
Amaury de Souza will speak on Brazilian politics, the country’s economic rise and international affairs on Thursday from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the McLamore Executive Dining Hall on the third floor of the School of Business. The lecture is presented by the Center for Latin American Studies in collaboration with UM’s Center for Hemispheric Policy.
Serving others
The National Gandhi Day of Service committee is gearing up to host its annual event this Sunday; registration begins at 9 a.m., but if you want to participate, register online at umgandhiday.com.  All volunteers will receive breakfast, lunch and a free Gandhi Day T-shirt. For more information, contact umgandhiday@gmail.com.
Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “News Briefs 9/29”

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...