News Briefs 9/29

FREE SHOTS
Flu shots, that is. Free flu shots are now available at the Student Health Service and in the locations below:
4Tuesday: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Wednesday: Law School Student Lounge 11:30-1:30 p.m.
4Oct. 6: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Oct. 10:  Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m. and 2:30-4 p.m.
SHAKE IT
Miami Ballroom will host its first Rumba and Tango dance lesson for free on Thursday, Sept. 29 at 6 p.m. in the UC Flamingo Ballrooms. The first lesson is free; dues are $25 per semester for students and $50 for non-students. No experience is necessary. For more information, visit miamiballroom.web.com or email miamiballroom@gmail.com
BE ROYAL
Applications for Homecoming King and Queen are now available in the Department of Student Activities (STIC, UC 209).
All students are encouraged to apply and bring their two-minute talent – dance, theatre, vocal and instrumental performances included – on Oct. 11 and Oct. 12.
Applications are due Oct. 7 at 5 p.m. in the STIC. For more information, contact the King and Queen chairs: Daniel Beldy at dbeldy5@gmail.com and Sophianna Bishop at s.bishop3@umiami.edu, or Niurka Monteserin at n.monteserin@umiami.edu.
GET NOMINATED
Omnicron Delta Kappa (ODK), a prestigious UM honor society, is now accepting nominations for new members.
Nominees must represent character, leadership, scholarship, fellowship and display a dedication to democratic ideals.
They also need to be in the top 35 percent of their class and have completed at least 60 credits. Nomination forms require the nominee’s name, student ID number and social security number; letters of recommendation should not exceed 300 words.
All nominations must be sent in via email to Liliana Oyarzun, vice president of selections, at l.oyarzun@umiami.edu by 5 p.m. on Monday.
HIGHEST HONOR
Iron Arrow, UM’s highest honor, is also accepting nominations for the Fall semester. Nominate any outstanding ‘Cane who deserves the recognition. Include a one page explanation of why this person deserves the honor; all entrees should be confidential. Email recommendations to ironarrow@miami.edu by 5 p.m. on Tuesday.
BRAZILIAN BOOM
Amaury de Souza will speak on Brazilian politics, the country’s economic rise and international affairs on Thursday from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the McLamore Executive Dining Hall on the third floor of the School of Business. The lecture is presented by the Center for Latin American Studies in collaboration with UM’s Center for Hemispheric Policy.
Serving others
The National Gandhi Day of Service committee is gearing up to host its annual event this Sunday; registration begins at 9 a.m., but if you want to participate, register online at umgandhiday.com.  All volunteers will receive breakfast, lunch and a free Gandhi Day T-shirt. For more information, contact umgandhiday@gmail.com.
Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Jonathan Borge Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “News Briefs 9/29”

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...

The No. 15th–ranked University of Miami women's golf team concluded competition at the 2017 Bri ...