News Briefs 9/29

FREE SHOTS
Flu shots, that is. Free flu shots are now available at the Student Health Service and in the locations below:
4Tuesday: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Wednesday: Law School Student Lounge 11:30-1:30 p.m.
4Oct. 6: Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m.
4Oct. 10:  Starbucks/Richter Green Area 10-11:30 a.m. and 2:30-4 p.m.
SHAKE IT
Miami Ballroom will host its first Rumba and Tango dance lesson for free on Thursday, Sept. 29 at 6 p.m. in the UC Flamingo Ballrooms. The first lesson is free; dues are $25 per semester for students and $50 for non-students. No experience is necessary. For more information, visit miamiballroom.web.com or email miamiballroom@gmail.com
BE ROYAL
Applications for Homecoming King and Queen are now available in the Department of Student Activities (STIC, UC 209).
All students are encouraged to apply and bring their two-minute talent – dance, theatre, vocal and instrumental performances included – on Oct. 11 and Oct. 12.
Applications are due Oct. 7 at 5 p.m. in the STIC. For more information, contact the King and Queen chairs: Daniel Beldy at dbeldy5@gmail.com and Sophianna Bishop at s.bishop3@umiami.edu, or Niurka Monteserin at n.monteserin@umiami.edu.
GET NOMINATED
Omnicron Delta Kappa (ODK), a prestigious UM honor society, is now accepting nominations for new members.
Nominees must represent character, leadership, scholarship, fellowship and display a dedication to democratic ideals.
They also need to be in the top 35 percent of their class and have completed at least 60 credits. Nomination forms require the nominee’s name, student ID number and social security number; letters of recommendation should not exceed 300 words.
All nominations must be sent in via email to Liliana Oyarzun, vice president of selections, at l.oyarzun@umiami.edu by 5 p.m. on Monday.
HIGHEST HONOR
Iron Arrow, UM’s highest honor, is also accepting nominations for the Fall semester. Nominate any outstanding ‘Cane who deserves the recognition. Include a one page explanation of why this person deserves the honor; all entrees should be confidential. Email recommendations to ironarrow@miami.edu by 5 p.m. on Tuesday.
BRAZILIAN BOOM
Amaury de Souza will speak on Brazilian politics, the country’s economic rise and international affairs on Thursday from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the McLamore Executive Dining Hall on the third floor of the School of Business. The lecture is presented by the Center for Latin American Studies in collaboration with UM’s Center for Hemispheric Policy.
Serving others
The National Gandhi Day of Service committee is gearing up to host its annual event this Sunday; registration begins at 9 a.m., but if you want to participate, register online at umgandhiday.com.  All volunteers will receive breakfast, lunch and a free Gandhi Day T-shirt. For more information, contact umgandhiday@gmail.com.
Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “News Briefs 9/29”

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team was unable to crack the top eight in th ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...