Committee plans to add new events to celebration

Students at UM will be given a chance to embrace and celebrate Miami’s cultural diversity with a twist.
Multicultural Student Affairs has organized various events to promote Hispanic Heritage Month and celebrate the contributions of Latin culture throughout the month of October.
“It always brings out such a great crowd because since people live here in Miami, they want to know more about the culture,” said sophomore Meghan Shephard, a member of the Hispanic Heritage Month committee. “This is a great way to get the students involved and to spread knowledge about Latino culture.”
The committee will continue its annual features, like Hispanic cuisine during Dorm Storm on Tuesday in the Mahoney/Pearson dining hall and Wednesday in the Hecht/Stanford dining hall.
“People are always going to the dining halls to get food anyway, so when they walk in they see this buffet line of Hispanic food,” Shephard said. “It is always very popular.”
Another staple event, Opening Ceremonies, will allow students to enjoy food and live performances held on the UC patio on Oct. 6.
In addition to these events, the Hispanic Heritage Month committee is introducing some new ones to their program.
“They have a new event ‘La Lengua,’” said Luz Paniagua, advisor of Multicultural Student Affairs. “There are different stations and at each station you learn something about the Spanish language. By the end, you should be able to say some sort of sentence [in Spanish]. They have a pronunciation station, a slang station and a pick-up line station.“
The last event, scheduled for Oct. 26, is “Feel the Ritmo,” where one can learn different Latin dance styles.
“We are trying to step outside of the boundary people would assume an event like this would have and reaching out more,” Shephard said.

Jackie Salo

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Committee plans to add new events to celebration”

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...