Auto-tune taints the music industry

Auto-tune: a voice recorder used to correct pitch in vocal and instrumental performances in order to disguise off-key inaccuracies.

Translation: cheating. Or, in Lil Wayne’s case, sounding like a foolish robot.

There are various technological advancements that are beneficial to society, like the Keurig Individual Coffee Maker. Some, such as auto-tune, are deceivingly detrimental.

In earlier music eras, artists were true artists. There were no magical instruments to transform a talentless person into Whitney Houston or Billy Joel. Today, the music industry consists of a talent deficiency and a lack of valuable content in artists’ music, such as Lil Wayne.

Living in another decade sounds more appealing every time I turn on the radio. Rewind to the ‘90s. Rap was at its best. Deep, original lyrics were standard in Notorious B.I.G, Tupac and Wu-Tang’s era. These artists emerged from project housing and rhymed about real, controversial issues. They were poets telling the tale of the ghetto, while flowing to a beat. Today, all you hear from rappers is unjustifiable arrogance, often on the basis of cash or how many cars they have.

Lack of innovation is nothing to brag about. Where is the creativity? One of the original great rappers, Method Man, addressed this on an episode of “NY Ink.”

Store owner: “Let me ask you, what do you think of hip-hop these days?”

Method Man: “Can you even call it hip-hop? Back in the day, when I told a kid, ‘Yeah, I’m an MC’, the first thing he would do is rhyme for me. Now, when you tell a kid, ‘Yeah, I’m an MC,’ he’ll ask, ‘Where your car at? Where your chain at?’”

That is a legend telling it like it is.

Unfortunately, other legends such as Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac were killed, and auto-tune seems to have contaminated the music industry.

Nas, a notable rapper, titled his eighth album “Hip-Hop Is Dead” – and he gave it one hell of a eulogy. Hip-hop is dead and the auto-tune plague seems to be spreading across all genres. Not only are musicians electronically edited (does anyone think Ke$ha can actually sing?), but they have nothing valuable to say.

Even if an artist is talented, modern producers brainwash their clients into creating music, or lack thereof, that is what they think people want to hear. A prime example is Kanye West’s shameful auto-tune phase. Initially, West achieved recognition for his work in Jay-Z’s 2001 album “Blueprint” under Jay-Z’s Roc-A-Fella Records. He incorporated a soulful style with his own instrumentals to create unique hip-hop, but, in 2008, he lost that imagination. West made a painful mistake of releasing “808s & Heartbreak.” In this album, he proceeded to sing (a.k.a. talk) along with an extensive use of auto-tune. Ironically, this album was released around the same time that Lil Wayne and Drake infested the industry.

Money drives the modern music industry – not talent, art or the desire to touch somewhere deeper than one’s pockets. It comes down to simple economics. The demand being a hot beat and catchy hook, and these artists supply it.

It is time to reconsider our culture’s priorities, throw away the cash and return to inventive rhyming. In this economy, why waste money on robotic records and disappointing live performances? The consumer is the boss and it is time to demand a better brand of music.

Melanie Kleiner is a junior majoring in international finance and marketing.

Melanie Kleiner

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Auto-tune taints the music industry”

1. Faris says:

Finally someone speaks their mind about today’s talentless music, i couldn’t have said it better myself, great article!

2. drew says:

Great article.

3. Ok finally someone else agrees with me, Auto-tune has run it’s course, can we now get on with the real recording of music and true vocals please.
    go here Now!http://thesilverconductor.com/silver-conductor-whats-your-thoughts/autotune/
    Who am I? The “Silver Conductor” on Facebook,Twitter and:
    http://www.thesilverconductor.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOO6ZTBf1Oc
    Remember:”Always know who loves you”
    The “Silver Conductor”

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...