URecognize promotes atmosphere of appreciation

Saying thank you just got easier with the launch of URecognize.com. Founded by UM alumna Maria Gomez, the website works toward creating a more positive planet by allowing people to acknowledge good deeds online.
“The lack of recognition is very pervasive around the world,” Gomez said.
Gomez was particularly influenced by the economy’s dismal current state.
“People are working really hard and it’s just amazing how happy people get when told ‘thank you,’” Gomez said.
Users can send and receive recognition online and share messages of acknowledgement through social media sites. The site also creates a sender and receiver system, which allows  friends and associates to connect through Facebook and Twitter.
Features of URecognize include the ability for a sender to see when a receiver opens a message, a printable certification of acknowledgement and the option for the receiver to then thank the sender, creating an “Appreciate Movement,” according to a recent press release.
“Having a service of this nature is positive in that it brings gratitude into the world,” said Emily Vaughan, Office of Academic Enhancement program coordinator. Vaughan works in a close-knit environment with students and other faculty members and prefers direct expressions of thanks “in a one-on-one setting.”
Gomez maintains the importance of URecognize.com, even with the ability to publicly post comments on social media sites or the accessibility of e-cards.
“Open recognition gets lost on social media websites like Facebook and Twitter,” Gomez said. “There’s not really a focus on this feature. There is no other website for this kind of recognition.”
Gomez agrees that e-cards are an option for thanking someone, but says that they are are extremely exclusive, whereas URecognize.com offers the ability to share recognition publicly and instantly.
“Our biggest attribute is the ability to reach lots of people with a message,” Gomez said. “For us, recognition shouldn’t be a secret.”
Target audiences include people in education and business corporations, or those involved with projects and organizations.
Haylie Schroeder, the special interest housing community assistant, often works with both students and faculty that aren’t acknowledged for their efforts in programming student events.
“It would be nice to show your appreciation [on URecognize,]especially for people that work behind the scenes,” Schroeder said.

Chloe Herring

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “URecognize promotes atmosphere of appreciation”

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...