URecognize promotes atmosphere of appreciation

Saying thank you just got easier with the launch of URecognize.com. Founded by UM alumna Maria Gomez, the website works toward creating a more positive planet by allowing people to acknowledge good deeds online.
“The lack of recognition is very pervasive around the world,” Gomez said.
Gomez was particularly influenced by the economy’s dismal current state.
“People are working really hard and it’s just amazing how happy people get when told ‘thank you,’” Gomez said.
Users can send and receive recognition online and share messages of acknowledgement through social media sites. The site also creates a sender and receiver system, which allows  friends and associates to connect through Facebook and Twitter.
Features of URecognize include the ability for a sender to see when a receiver opens a message, a printable certification of acknowledgement and the option for the receiver to then thank the sender, creating an “Appreciate Movement,” according to a recent press release.
“Having a service of this nature is positive in that it brings gratitude into the world,” said Emily Vaughan, Office of Academic Enhancement program coordinator. Vaughan works in a close-knit environment with students and other faculty members and prefers direct expressions of thanks “in a one-on-one setting.”
Gomez maintains the importance of URecognize.com, even with the ability to publicly post comments on social media sites or the accessibility of e-cards.
“Open recognition gets lost on social media websites like Facebook and Twitter,” Gomez said. “There’s not really a focus on this feature. There is no other website for this kind of recognition.”
Gomez agrees that e-cards are an option for thanking someone, but says that they are are extremely exclusive, whereas URecognize.com offers the ability to share recognition publicly and instantly.
“Our biggest attribute is the ability to reach lots of people with a message,” Gomez said. “For us, recognition shouldn’t be a secret.”
Target audiences include people in education and business corporations, or those involved with projects and organizations.
Haylie Schroeder, the special interest housing community assistant, often works with both students and faculty that aren’t acknowledged for their efforts in programming student events.
“It would be nice to show your appreciation [on URecognize,]especially for people that work behind the scenes,” Schroeder said.

Chloe Herring

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “URecognize promotes atmosphere of appreciation”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...