Student Government officer represents commuters

Courtesy Ashley Taggart

Commuters, meet Ashley Taggart, your voice in Student Government.

Taggart, a senior majoring in microbiology and immunology, has been involved with freshman orientation and commuter programs since her freshman year when she attended Great Start, a pre-orientation program for incoming commuter students that emphasizes campus involvement.

“Great Start was my drug and after that I got involved in anything commuter-related or anything orientation-related,” Taggart said. “I was one of those kids who went to orientation, and went to every single event and loved it all.”

She was asked to join the “Taking U Forward” ticket because of this “fresh perspective.”

“It started with Brandon and Jake asking me,” Taggart said. “They decided that they wanted someone part of their executive board that wasn’t involved with SG before and someone who represented a different part of the student body that they couldn’t represent.”

Taggart represents the commuter students at UM.

“Even more specifically, I represent that population of commuter students that are from Miami and maybe still live at home with their parents,” Taggart said. “Their campus life and their college experience is completely different from someone who has lived on campus before.”

Promotion is an important part of attracting commuters.

“Whenever a program that we want to put on is coming up, we always have to think about will it target  just residential students, will commuter students get involved, will they hear about it, will they want to go to it,” Taggart said.

As a Miami native who lives with her parents, Taggart said she understands what attracts commuters to events.

“Commuter students, a lot of them, tend to come to school in the morning, go to their classes, hang out in the I-lounge and then head home,” Taggart said. “If a program is being put on too late and it’s not appealing enough, they probably won’t come to it.”

Despite some of the difficulties of commuting, Taggart enjoys living at home.

“It’s tough sometimes because my parents are those strict parents,” she said. “They need to know where I am at all times. But I have home cooked meals and my bed’s really comfortable.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...