President Shalala appears on ‘Meet the Press’

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala sat among other education experts on NBC’s “Meet the Press” roundtable discussion on Sunday morning. The discussion centered on education and kicked off NBC News’ weeklong “Education Nation Summit.”

This summit, which was introduced last year, includes extended coverage on education in America on all of NBC’s broadcast media outlets to raise awareness about education in America. The live program discussed national issues and how they related to education, such as the state of the economy and federal government’s influence.

The show’s moderator, David Gregory, spoke briefly on President Barack Obama’s new program, titled Race to the Top, which was designed to follow the Bush administration’s No Child Left Behind.

Despite these efforts, however, Shalala agreed with Gregory – “we’re not there yet,” she said.

Shalala stated that there are two parts to the economic dimension in education.

“We’re in fits and starts, and we still fail to recognize that it’s not just metrics and testing,” she said. “It’s investment in teachers, in families … [and]we know parental support, community support, makes a difference.”

Another economic issue regarding education discussed was how unemployment statistics vary according to each person’s level of education. According to Bill Bennett, former secretary of education for President Ronald Reagan and host of “Bill Bennett’s Morning in America,” unemployment rate for college graduates is five percent. It is nine percent for high school graduates and 15 percent for high school drop-outs.

The discussion, which also included Tim Shriver, chairman and CEO of the Special Olympics, and PBS’ Tavis Smiley, all agreed on one idea: Children need more caring adults in order to succeed. Shalala agreed with Gregory, who said that the most important factor in a child’s education is adult influence.

“It’s coaches. It’s people that are involved in kids’ lives at every level, and it’s supporting their parents,” Shalala said. “Their parents need better jobs. So that they can help them with their homework and don’t have to work two jobs.”

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...