Cooking with Canes

Alfonso Dager, alumni grad of 2007, prepares The Ultimate Omlette during the Big Breakfast Tailgate on Saturday. For breakfast Dager and friend Gary Kapit cooked omplettes, breakfast sandwhiches, nachos, fried chicken wrapped in freshly made waffles and much more. Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

For University of Miami alumni Alfonso Dager (2007) and Gary Kapit (2009), tailgating plays just as critical of a role in game day as good defense. The two have created a YouTube channel called “Cooking with Canes” that showcases their tailgating recipes.
“We believe firmly that the better you tailgate, the better the Canes will do,” said Dager, who hosts the series.
Their videos demonstrate both their dedication to the Canes and their spin on the typical tailgate menu. They meet throughout the week to decide what to cook, said Kapit, who co-produces and films the videos.
“It is practically a committee meeting,” Dager said.
Their menu often incorporates South Florida culture and their Hurricane pride. One dish they cook at their tailgates and that is featured in one of their videos is Miami favorite arroz con pollo, which is cooked with sauteed onions, peppers and garlic. In addition, they also cook up dishes that are named for Miami football history.
“We have one recipe called ‘The Schnellen Burger,’ named after Howard Schnellenberger, the first coach at UM who won a national championship,” Dager said. “We cook those nice and slow, and layer the burger with a slice of pineapple, cooked mushrooms and cheese. On top, we have orange and green peppers in the shape of the U.”
One ingredient used in the recipes is Fat Cat brand hot sauces, which was co-created by alumnus and fellow tailgater Deborah Moskowitz. Through support of the Fat Cat company, the two have been able to get the word out about their videos.
“We have been doing it through grass roots, through the Fat Cats website and Facebook,” Dager said. “We have been hearing from people that we graduated with years ago, and haven’t spoken to since, that they tried [one of our]recipes and it was delicious.”
To see the duo in action, watch their videos at YouTube.com/user/FatCatFood, or find the them in the Sun Life Stadium parking lot cooking up a storm before the football games in their Canes gear.

Jackie Salo

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...