Staff Editorial 9/22: Keep calm, build on

If you’re a Miami resident, especially if you drive, just hearing the word “construction” is enough to have you running in the opposite direction.

For many South Florida drivers, road construction has been the norm since the moment they got behind the wheel. The Palmetto Expressway (SR 826) has been under construction for longer than most people care to think about, with completion scheduled for 2015; U.S. 1 frequently closes its lanes – as if its traffic isn’t already a nightmare. Miami drivers already have a reputation for being reckless and the congestion caused by road construction only makes things worse.

Sometimes it seems like a ton of money is being spent on projects that are not getting anything accomplished. Miami-Dade County is the site of about 40 ongoing construction projects, including roads, bridges and tunnels. There are countless lists and figures on new building projects to accommodate a rising population. However, when people don’t have money to spend, it seems ridiculous to be paying for new traffic circles in residential areas.

Construction can be a pain even here on campus, but the new Student Activity Center is an exception, showing that construction can in fact be beneficial. We might have to walk the long way around the lake for two years, but when the dirt clears and the trucks depart, we’ll be left with a new facility. Instead of borrowing Sun Life Stadium from the Dolphins, the Marlins will soon have a high-tech baseball stadium to play in; Downtown Coral Gables will open luxury condominiums; CitiCentre, a new urban neighborhood of Brickell high rises, will change the Miami skyline. Although construction might be a pain now, it is merely a temporary inconvenience that will prove beneficial in the long run.

And when the roads are finished, there will hopefully be less traffic and fewer headaches. We can dream, right?

Things have to get worse before they can get better. Miami has new things on the horizon; in the meantime, we just have to approach the continual construction with a “no pain, no gain” mentality.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...