Indie films at Sunset highlight Latin culture

Courtesy onlinemovieshut.com

The Maya Indie Film Series will be ending its theatrical run at AMC Sunset Place 24 on Friday.

The film series focuses on presenting independent films that promote cultural diversity. Over the span of one week, seven films will be presented with themes rooted in Latin culture, many starring big Hollywood names.

Instead of watching “Friday Night Lights” for the fifth time, try “All She Can,” a story about a small-town high school senior with a shot at attending the University of Texas at Austin. However, she cannot afford it, and her scholarship and future all come down to one final championship match in power lifting.

“Blue Eyes” tackles immigration and the idea of American freedom. Before retiring, a JFK Airport’s chief immigration officer detains a group of Latin Americans and forces them to undergo difficult situations.

“Di Di Hollywood” evokes “Black Swan” in the protagonist’s quest for perfection. Diana Diaz leaves Spain to pursue her dream of becoming a star. She travels to Miami and, suffering from starvation and poverty, quickly learns that fame has its sacrifices.

“Forged” is a father-son story unlike any other. Haunted by the murder of his wife, ex-thug Manny must find a way to forge a bond with his son.

“Sympathy for Delicious,” Mark Ruffalo’s debut directing job and winner of a Sundance award,  tells the story of Dean O’Dwyer’s descent into depression after a motorcycle accident leaves him paralyzed and unable to pursue a career as an underground Los Angeles disc jockey. O’Dwyer meets Father Joe Roselli, who introduces him to the power of faith. Discovering that O’Dwyer also has the gift, he begins to heal others but ironically cannot heal himself. He rashly decides to use his power for fame and fortune, and joins a rock band. Not finding any hope in the band, he will ultimately have to face own darkness. The film stars Christopher Thorton, Juliet Lewis, Orlando Bloom and Laura Linney.

A tale of unusual friendships, “Where the Road Meets the Sun,” parallels two seemingly different stories. Takashi, a Japanese hitman who wakes up from a four-year coma, moves to L.A. and forms a bond with Blake, a hotel manager mourning the loss of his wife. Meanwhile, Julio, an illegal immigrant who works at an Indian restaurant to provide for his family, also bonds with British backpacker Guy, who carelessly lives off his father. The film shows how the four men come to learn from one another.

The battle of the sexes takes center stage in “Without Men.” When the men of a remote Latin-American mountain village leave to fight for the country’s civil war, the women begin to fend for themselves and form an all-female utopia. When the men return, led by an American reporter, the clash ensues. The film stars Eva Longoria, Christian Slater and “The Office’s” Oscar Nuñez.

If you go

Where: AMC Theatre at Sunset

When: through Friday

visit: mayaindieseries.com for movie times

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Indie films at Sunset highlight Latin culture”

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...