Home is not just a place, but a feeling

I have always admired those who are able to live in different places early in their lives. To them, home seems to be a dynamic and deep feeling, a constant flow of care and passion for many aspects of their personal life. I lived in the same, small suburb for my entire life, and I feel as though I’ve been slightly cheated out of a truer understanding of what is home.

The American Airlines airplane TV sets say, “Thank you for letting us take you home.”

Why do they assume that our destination is home? Perhaps because there is not one concrete area or space that is a designated home; I know houses and bedrooms don’t cut it sometimes.

I find it funny how often we subconsciously use the word “home.” I have been at Miami for about three weeks now, and I already refer to my tiny dorm room in Hecht as my home. Yes, it is my living space for the next year, but it is not the comfy mattress that naturally forms to my body from 18 years of sleeping in the same position, or the room where countless sleepovers have been hosted and Red Sox games were watched.

The only way I can really define a home, for me, at least, is in the lyrics of “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. It is more of a romantic type of home, but it still embodies the peaceful and irreplaceable feeling of being where you belong.

There should not be any set standards for what qualifies as your home. It does not need to be a physical place, but more of a feeling when you’re warm and comfortable, and you’re at ease even for just a blink in your busy life.

Home can mean whatever to whomever — it could be your city, your house, the time spent with the ones you love — or it could simply be whenever you are truly happy.

Alexa Pappas is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration.

Alexa Pappas

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...