Facebook grows into complex, secure network

Think Facebook is more confusing every day? Well, it may be a good thing.

Additional privacy options and settings are being introduced weekly.  Only two weeks ago, Facebook launched an innovative way of organizing your friends. According to The Washington Post, “The network is also rolling out ‘close friends’ and ‘acquaintances,’ lists that you control and that affect what shows up in your news feed.”

Now, that person you met last Friday who somehow figured out your last name after a two-minute conversation can be categorized as an acquaintance  so you don’t need to read their constant status updates when you can barely remember who they are. Facebook is no longer a simple social networking system; it is becoming extensively more secure and branching beyond its basic format.

What will Facebook do next? The answer: Free music. CNET affirms that companies such as Spotify, MOG, Rhapsody, Soundcloud, Rdio, Deezer and Vevo are all tagging their music to be Facebook compatible. The new service is set to launch later this month and will allow about 750 million users to listen to free music.

What’s the catch? There is none. Facebook is opening its network for people to freely enjoy music. The real issue may result from the companies not wanting music to be completely free. Facebook may be forced to have more advertisements during music streaming to appease their music partners.

We all know Facebook is the ultimate procrastinating outlet and music will only enhance its power. I predict that companies such as Pandora and Netflix will soon be streaming through Facebook because the network is becoming more competitive and universal. According to PC World, “If the integration race keeps up, soon we can stay logged on indefinitely and never have to leave.”

We can now subscribe to certain people, categorize friends and soon we’ll be able to listen to music. Maybe next we’ll be taking our finals on Facebook, too.

Danielle Poreh

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Facebook grows into complex, secure network”

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...