New mural documents UM history

The dull white walls of the University Center will finally be dressed up with some color.

As part of the ongoing UC renovations, the Pavia Garage entranceway will be home to a new mural that will document UM’s history.

Student Government Vice President Ashley Taggart represents the student body on the UC Renovations Committee. Under the direction of Patricia Whitely, the vice president of Student Affairs, the committee is working to make the UC as spirited as possible.

“The UC is really bland and boring,” Taggart said. “We want to spruce it up.”

With the help of Arquitectonica, an architecture firm in Miami, the committee has been designing layouts and various print mock-ups before finalizing the rendering earlier last week.

Taggart said this mural will do a great job capturing student activities while promoting school spirit throughout campus.

“The mural is going to be a transformation to the UC,” she said. “I want to see it up.”

The mural will be organized to show the different eras of the university. It will consist of real pictures, which will tell the story of UM from the beginning of its existence.

“The UC Mural will vividly depict UM history and traditions with a strong focus on student life,” Whitely said. “Organized by the terms of the five UM presidents, the mural will be a terrific addition to the renovated UC, and will be a popular stop for students, guests and alumni for years to come.”

The committee hopes to have the mural mounted on the UC walls by the end of October, in time for homecoming and the ceremonial groundbreaking of the new Student Activities Center.

Elizabeth De Armas

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...