New mural documents UM history

The dull white walls of the University Center will finally be dressed up with some color.

As part of the ongoing UC renovations, the Pavia Garage entranceway will be home to a new mural that will document UM’s history.

Student Government Vice President Ashley Taggart represents the student body on the UC Renovations Committee. Under the direction of Patricia Whitely, the vice president of Student Affairs, the committee is working to make the UC as spirited as possible.

“The UC is really bland and boring,” Taggart said. “We want to spruce it up.”

With the help of Arquitectonica, an architecture firm in Miami, the committee has been designing layouts and various print mock-ups before finalizing the rendering earlier last week.

Taggart said this mural will do a great job capturing student activities while promoting school spirit throughout campus.

“The mural is going to be a transformation to the UC,” she said. “I want to see it up.”

The mural will be organized to show the different eras of the university. It will consist of real pictures, which will tell the story of UM from the beginning of its existence.

“The UC Mural will vividly depict UM history and traditions with a strong focus on student life,” Whitely said. “Organized by the terms of the five UM presidents, the mural will be a terrific addition to the renovated UC, and will be a popular stop for students, guests and alumni for years to come.”

The committee hopes to have the mural mounted on the UC walls by the end of October, in time for homecoming and the ceremonial groundbreaking of the new Student Activities Center.

Elizabeth De Armas

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “New mural documents UM history”

1. musou says:

I very expect the new mural in the wall of University Center.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...