New mural documents UM history

The dull white walls of the University Center will finally be dressed up with some color.

As part of the ongoing UC renovations, the Pavia Garage entranceway will be home to a new mural that will document UM’s history.

Student Government Vice President Ashley Taggart represents the student body on the UC Renovations Committee. Under the direction of Patricia Whitely, the vice president of Student Affairs, the committee is working to make the UC as spirited as possible.

“The UC is really bland and boring,” Taggart said. “We want to spruce it up.”

With the help of Arquitectonica, an architecture firm in Miami, the committee has been designing layouts and various print mock-ups before finalizing the rendering earlier last week.

Taggart said this mural will do a great job capturing student activities while promoting school spirit throughout campus.

“The mural is going to be a transformation to the UC,” she said. “I want to see it up.”

The mural will be organized to show the different eras of the university. It will consist of real pictures, which will tell the story of UM from the beginning of its existence.

“The UC Mural will vividly depict UM history and traditions with a strong focus on student life,” Whitely said. “Organized by the terms of the five UM presidents, the mural will be a terrific addition to the renovated UC, and will be a popular stop for students, guests and alumni for years to come.”

The committee hopes to have the mural mounted on the UC walls by the end of October, in time for homecoming and the ceremonial groundbreaking of the new Student Activities Center.

Elizabeth De Armas

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “New mural documents UM history”

1. musou says:

I very expect the new mural in the wall of University Center.

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...