Prime-time lineup

As schedules start to fill up, there’s only one time slot that all college students, or anyone else for that matter, keep open — 8 to 11 p.m., otherwise known as prime-time television. While fall might mean football, school, cooler weather or the end of stingray season to some, others know their favorite TV shows are coming back to the small LCDs in their dorms and laptop screens.

Here are some of the shows you should be looking out for come September, all of which should be in your must-fit-into-your-nighttime-schedule category.

Two and a Half Men

It doesn’t really matter if you liked this mainstream CBS sitcom during the Charlie Sheen era — the interest level for season nine of “Two and a Half Men” is through the roof. Publicity is at an all-time high and everybody is pumped for the upcoming season. The addition of Ashton Kutcher (his first sitcom since “That ‘70s Show”), the naked teaser poster, the storyline involving Charlie’s death and even Comedy Central’s Roast of Charlie Sheen airing on the date of the premiere have all contributed to the hype, and you should be excited as well.

Premieres Monday at 9 p.m.

Modern Family

The funniest show on TV today should be on everyone’s calendar Wednesday nights. “Modern Family” won the Emmy last year for outstanding comedy series, and if you haven’t caught this new-age classic, then you’re missing out on life in the TV world. Despite not many character additions (save for Aubrey Anderson-Emmons taking the role of toddler Lily), season three looks to be just as much fun as the previous two.

Premieres Wednesday at 9 p.m.

The X Factor

This immensely popular and successful British singing competition has finally hit U.S. soil, and Simon Cowell aims to overtake “American Idol” as the highest rated singing show on TV. Why should you watch this show, if not for Cowell’s disdainful comments and Paula Abdul’s drunken demeanor? Well, because of Simon Cowell’s disdainful comments and Paula Abdul’s drunken demeanor. I can’t imagine there being much more to “X Factor” than “Idol” or “The Voice,” and it’s on during “Survivor” and “Modern Family.”  Just catch Thursday’s episode.

Premieres Wednesday at 8 p.m.

Terra Nova

Steven Spielberg is now taking viewers to year 2149 … and then back 85 million years to prehistoric times. This human extinction colonization show is headlined by “Life on Mars”’ Jason O’Mara and “Avatar’s” Stephen Lang and appears to have a good storyline to go along with its distinguished cast. Plus, it’s Steven Spielberg doing TV. Be sure to catch the two-hour season premiere on Fox, who may or may not be insane for funding this James Cameron-esque production.

Premieres Sept. 26 at 8 p.m.

Tyler Cooney

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Prime-time lineup”

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...