Prime-time lineup

As schedules start to fill up, there’s only one time slot that all college students, or anyone else for that matter, keep open — 8 to 11 p.m., otherwise known as prime-time television. While fall might mean football, school, cooler weather or the end of stingray season to some, others know their favorite TV shows are coming back to the small LCDs in their dorms and laptop screens.

Here are some of the shows you should be looking out for come September, all of which should be in your must-fit-into-your-nighttime-schedule category.

Two and a Half Men

It doesn’t really matter if you liked this mainstream CBS sitcom during the Charlie Sheen era — the interest level for season nine of “Two and a Half Men” is through the roof. Publicity is at an all-time high and everybody is pumped for the upcoming season. The addition of Ashton Kutcher (his first sitcom since “That ‘70s Show”), the naked teaser poster, the storyline involving Charlie’s death and even Comedy Central’s Roast of Charlie Sheen airing on the date of the premiere have all contributed to the hype, and you should be excited as well.

Premieres Monday at 9 p.m.

Modern Family

The funniest show on TV today should be on everyone’s calendar Wednesday nights. “Modern Family” won the Emmy last year for outstanding comedy series, and if you haven’t caught this new-age classic, then you’re missing out on life in the TV world. Despite not many character additions (save for Aubrey Anderson-Emmons taking the role of toddler Lily), season three looks to be just as much fun as the previous two.

Premieres Wednesday at 9 p.m.

The X Factor

This immensely popular and successful British singing competition has finally hit U.S. soil, and Simon Cowell aims to overtake “American Idol” as the highest rated singing show on TV. Why should you watch this show, if not for Cowell’s disdainful comments and Paula Abdul’s drunken demeanor? Well, because of Simon Cowell’s disdainful comments and Paula Abdul’s drunken demeanor. I can’t imagine there being much more to “X Factor” than “Idol” or “The Voice,” and it’s on during “Survivor” and “Modern Family.”  Just catch Thursday’s episode.

Premieres Wednesday at 8 p.m.

Terra Nova

Steven Spielberg is now taking viewers to year 2149 … and then back 85 million years to prehistoric times. This human extinction colonization show is headlined by “Life on Mars”’ Jason O’Mara and “Avatar’s” Stephen Lang and appears to have a good storyline to go along with its distinguished cast. Plus, it’s Steven Spielberg doing TV. Be sure to catch the two-hour season premiere on Fox, who may or may not be insane for funding this James Cameron-esque production.

Premieres Sept. 26 at 8 p.m.

Tyler Cooney

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...