Editor’s Note: Reflecting on rumors

There is no doubt that the article published on Monday’s cover of The Miami Hurricane stirred controversy.

There are rumors circulating campus regarding the ongoing investigation of Pi Kappa Alpha, yet neither UM officials nor members of Pike could speak to us. In an attempt to reflect what a number of students have been saying about Pike, we published quotes from unnamed sources.

Although our method may have been ill-advised, there are indeed people talking about the investigation. Our sources could not be corroborated independently, yet they were legitimate: Two unrelated sources made comments about what they had heard around campus – and those were only two of the many comments we had heard.

Still, in hindsight, the staff and I recognize that we could have represented those rumors in a better way. As students, we are learning how to be better journalists through every edition we produce – from this situation, we have learned how to better handle such gossip.

We have also learned, that to maintain our credibility as a newspaper, it is important to provide information that has been confirmed by a source with firsthand knowledge.

Unverified rumors aside, Pike has in the past faced some scrutiny. This is the third time in six years that UM’s chapter of Pike has been investigated. Still, prior incidents and scrutiny does not mean Pike is guilty of the current rumors or anything at this time. Pike needs to be treated fairly and the university needs to conduct a full investigation.

Regardless of whatever reputation the fraternity may hold, there has been no confirmation of the truthfulness of the rumors spreading through campus. Because of this, the online version of Monday’s article has been edited to reflect a more factual representation of the investigation. And, as in the original version, the article explains that the fraternity’s president has acknowledged the rumors and has insisted that they have nothing to do with the actual allegations against Pike.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Editor’s Note: Reflecting on rumors”

1. hmm says:

“This is the third time in six years that UM’s chapter of Pike has been investigated.”…..
    As editor are you aware that, “In the past 10 years, Pike has been investigated twice by the university.” Was previously published in the pike article. These two direct quotes from your articles don’t add up. If even your facts can prove to be exaggerations influenced by bias’ you should not be using quotes. We don’t want your bias’ facts accompanied with bias quotes that hold no validity in the truth. Even this is not the sort editor’s note that should be written; where is the apology? More importantly where is there some sense of truth?

2. Dear ‘Enquiring Mind’,

You wrote that “Drugs and alcohol consumption should always be handled in a responsible and informed manner”.

Students for Sensible Drug Policy is serious about reforming Drug Policy for the better. We want to see a society that more effectively helps those who need medical attention, and which stops violating people’s civil liberties. As of right now, we fight a failing “War on Drugs” in the U.S. that has been shown to increase the harm that drugs causes on society in a string of unintended consequences. Proposing alternatives to the current way of handling drug policy is usually considered political suicide for politicians, so for a long time we have seemed doomed to keep this ineffective system in place. Our organiation is here to be the voice of reason, to be the voice of scientific research and compassion, in a sea of fear and one-sided mentalities.

Anyways, I’m not sure why you brought my club into this, but I would agree that everyone deserves a legitimate and fair investigation into charges brought against them, and that would include Pike. That being said, if the allegations are true, all I would have to say is that they were certainly not acting “sensible”.

As for co-sponsoring a giant party in Venetian Pool with Greek Life and Coral Gables, I do not see that happening anytime soon, or ever. There are plenty of places for people to do dumb things with drugs and alcohol in college, SSDP is not the place for that. If you ever want to have an academic discussion about drug use, join us for an SSDP meeting some time. You can email me for the time and location at alfredkilzi@gmail.com

Respectfully,
    Alf

3. After avidly reading the salacious article published on Monday about the debauchery and orgies occurring within the Greek System I happened to watch the Video highlighting the Students for Sensible Drug Policy Club and I had a phenomenal idea. For their next public service project maybe the two groups could get together with the local Coral Gables Senior Parks and Recreation director and have a multi generational party at the Venetian Pool. Think of the pictures and stories you could write about that. I wonder who would be leading the festivities? The students or the seniors? Just think about the potential with all the Viagra and “Roofies” being passed around. I think it could be a win win for all! The pictures alone would probably gain this paper just the type of national recognition you have been striving towards. With the support of AARP this University could skyrocket right to the top. Drugs and alcohol consumption should always be handled in a responsible and informed manner as should journalism. Neither should ever be conceived as a joke which is why the University is being responsible and is investigating and not relying on gossip and passive aggressive reflections.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...