College no longer means parting ways

Years ago, going away to college meant saying goodbye to all of your friends from high school – and I mean really saying goodbye. You wouldn’t see or speak to them until you went back home during the holidays, unless you spoke over a good old-fashioned phone call.

However, in today’s generation, technology bridges this gap and allows students to easily stay in contact after high school. Popular social networking sites include Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. Now you can even see your friends by Skyping them or video calling them on Facebook. It’s like you never even left. This seems like a beneficial advancement in technology, but is it?

Is it necessarily a good thing that at a click of a button all your high school friends can see what school you’re at, if you’re in a relationship and what’s on your mind? Part of me thinks that technology has ruined the reunion of high school friends over the holidays where everyone gets together and tells tales of what has happened in their lives while they’ve been at college.

Nowadays, you can just quickly scan someone’s Facebook page or Twitter timeline, and without even communicating with that person, you find out everything you want to know. Seems to me that our generation may be in danger of becoming antisocial. Perhaps the old-fashioned social way of life is the best.

But then again, without this technology some high school friends would lose complete contact with each other. Some might say these websites and applications are making people even more social and extending their social life like never before. Also, it’s much easier to inbox your friends on Facebook than to call them or wait until Thanksgiving, right?

So what do you think? Is technology helping or hindering us? Either way, make sure you stay in touch with high school friends whether it’s a tweet or a surprise visit when you come home during the holidays.

Emma Bowman is a sophomore majoring in mathematics.

Emma Bowman

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “College no longer means parting ways”

1. kirsty says:

Very true, if you consider how many people you actually speak to on the phone now its quite worrying its too easy to have a internet relationship with friends today!

great article emma

2. Simone says:

Fantastic article, you pose some interesting questions that are subconsciously on everyone’s minds!

I agree that there are pros to social networking but lots of pros to as it takes away real interaction, not to mention privacy issues.

But all in all – I think social networking is getting bigger and bigger and we aren’t going to be able to avoid it forever!

3. Gloria says:

I agree. Lool. I also think the author of this article is kinda hot.

4. Shawn B says:

This is so true, come work for me :)

5. Amine says:

I totally agree with your thoughts on social networking sites. People are too nosey these days and instead of actually catching up with their friends they just check up on them. Great article, written very well.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...