College no longer means parting ways

Years ago, going away to college meant saying goodbye to all of your friends from high school – and I mean really saying goodbye. You wouldn’t see or speak to them until you went back home during the holidays, unless you spoke over a good old-fashioned phone call.

However, in today’s generation, technology bridges this gap and allows students to easily stay in contact after high school. Popular social networking sites include Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. Now you can even see your friends by Skyping them or video calling them on Facebook. It’s like you never even left. This seems like a beneficial advancement in technology, but is it?

Is it necessarily a good thing that at a click of a button all your high school friends can see what school you’re at, if you’re in a relationship and what’s on your mind? Part of me thinks that technology has ruined the reunion of high school friends over the holidays where everyone gets together and tells tales of what has happened in their lives while they’ve been at college.

Nowadays, you can just quickly scan someone’s Facebook page or Twitter timeline, and without even communicating with that person, you find out everything you want to know. Seems to me that our generation may be in danger of becoming antisocial. Perhaps the old-fashioned social way of life is the best.

But then again, without this technology some high school friends would lose complete contact with each other. Some might say these websites and applications are making people even more social and extending their social life like never before. Also, it’s much easier to inbox your friends on Facebook than to call them or wait until Thanksgiving, right?

So what do you think? Is technology helping or hindering us? Either way, make sure you stay in touch with high school friends whether it’s a tweet or a surprise visit when you come home during the holidays.

Emma Bowman is a sophomore majoring in mathematics.

Emma Bowman

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...