Pizza food truck to roll on to campus

A hurricane will hit the University of Miami when the Uragano pizza truck, named for the Italian word for hurricane, arrives on campus at the end of October.

Recognizing the need for a pizza eatery on campus after the Rathskeller took over the former location of Sbarro, the UM Department of Dining Services worked with Chartwells to launch a pizza truck.

“[The pizza truck] has been built expressly for Chartwells,” said Sandra Redway, the executive director of business services. “There is a pizza oven on board.”

The Uragano will feature freshly made whole wheat and traditional dough as well as mozzarella. Customers will have the option of 10 different types of pizza such as margherita, BBQ chicken and Caesar salad.

There will also be a pizza named exclusively for the university called, “The U Bomb,” which consists of bacon, sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, peppers, onion and mozzarella.

In addition to pizza, The Uragano will serve hero sandwiches.

When the truck arrives in late October, it will run from Monday through Friday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and on the weekends 4 to 11 p.m.

“I think it will be a great addition to campus to have access to fresh pizza on a regular basis,” freshman Brynn Freeland said.

The truck will be found in different spots around campus like the Rock, McLamore Plaza, the School of Nursing and  School of Communication Parking Lot, the UV, and the Hecht-Stanford and Mahoney Pearson Residence Halls.

Students will also be able to communicate with the truck to get it to move to a certain hot spot.

“The beauty of this is that the students will be able to tweet the truck once it comes to campus,” said Redway. “We will know the heavy areas and the truck can be moved there.”

Jackie Salo

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Pizza food truck to roll on to campus”

1. dad says:

chartwells pizza?!??! alright!!!!!

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...