Private information at your fingertips

We all have these days where we get immensely frustrated at our phones, and want to chuck it against the wall, not caring about the consequences. That describes my relationship with my phone, but a few weeks ago my phone was acting completely crazy and coincidently caused me to discover something new: a Facebook phonebook.

Wait, a Facebook phonebook? Yes, that’s right. In addition to my regular contacts, some of whom I never talk to anyway, I had an additional contact list with 200 people (or possibly more) that I never even met. Their numbers were at my disposal. I was pretty amazed at this neat feature on my tiny Android phone. I never had to ask these people for their numbers; all I had to do was type in their name and I could send them an impromptu text whenever I wanted.

As much as I found this new technology intriguing, I also found it creepy. It made me think about not only the privacy settings of Facebook, but how we collectively as users give out too much information in the first place. Some users fill out every single box and section social networking sites ask for; providing everything from their favorite colors to their full addresses and phone numbers. It seems like no one thinks about what Facebook could do with all of this information, or who else could just steal any of this information with their own intent.

Yes, a Facebook phonebook may seem like a breach in privacy controls on the creators of Facebook’s behalf, but what about our duties as users to protect ourselves and not engage ourselves in sticky situations? We hear about these horror stories with unsuspecting girls getting raped because they put to much info on Facebook and say, “Yeah, I’ll never be that person.”

But do we really take the time to see the access we allow others to have of our own lives?

Krystel is a freshman majoring in creative writing.

Krystel Edwards

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...