Cinema serves more than popcorn

Gables Cinema offers a variety of food in their cafe, including sushi, salads, baked goods, and fresh apples. The cinema opened October of last year, but the cafe only opened a month ago. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

The Coral Gables Art Cinema not only strays from the mainstream in its selection of films, but the new Cinema Cafe features fare from a variety of Gables vendors.

Partnered with Sushi Maki, Chocolate Fashion bakery and Green Gables Cafe, the cinema now offers more than the traditional junk food, like popcorn and candy. In addition to the classics, moviegoers can add a California roll ($5), pastries like chocolate-walnut cookies ($4.50), and organic salads to their movie palette.

UM students are no strangers to Sushi Maki’s on-campus location, offering sushi with ingredients that contain no preservatives or artificial colorings. The Green Gables Cafe, located at 327 Alhambra Circle, dedicates itself to providing sustainable, organic options. Its menu includes freshly pressed juices ($5.50), artisan sandwiches ($10-12) and even gluten-free burgers ($12).

“We’re grateful to support the local arts and anything that enhances one’s well-being,” director of Green Gables Cafe Ana Rabel said.

Alex Kuk, manager of the Coral Gables Sushi Maki, hopes that the partnership grows as well.

“It is a nice relationship; it’s a good marriage between the two,” Kuk said.

Chocolate Fashion bakery offers savory French-inspired desserts. The glazed tarts ($4-5), petit fours ($1.60) and cookies will soon become as popular as Buncha Crunch or Sour Patch Kids.

Most can agree that food is often the best way to bring people together. The cafe was created with that exact intention of making a more communal movie-watching experience, said cinema director Robert Rosenburg. It also helps support local businesses.

“Instead of leaving after the movie, people can stay for food and interact over a light lunch or dinner,” Rosenburg said.

He is currently working on getting a beer and wine license, but Lavazzo-brand coffee and Izze soft drinks will suffice until then. Rosenburg encourages people to eat not only in the cafe, but also inside the theater or outside on the patio.

The Coral Gables Art Cinema, which opened in 2010, plays American independent, foreign and classic films that are not found in larger South Florida multiplexes. Created by the non-profit film arts organization Coral Gables Cinemateque Inc., the theater offers HD-quality visuals and sound. Tickets are $13 for the general public and $8 for seniors and full-time students.

The cinema also hosts special events in which they feature a specific director or artist.

In collaboration with the Centro Cultural Español and Books & Books, the cinema will be hosting a weeklong program Nat Chediak presents “David Trueba, Recent Works.” A leading Spanish filmmaker, novelist and journalist, Trueba will be showcasing his work in Miami starting Friday.

For more information on showtimes, events and trailers visit http://www.gablescinema.com. The cinema is located at 260 Aragon Avenue and is open seven days a week.

If you go

What: Coral Gables Art Cinema

Where: 260 Aragon Avenue

Tickets: $13 for the general public and $8 for seniors and full-time students.

Upcoming events

Friday: Nat Chediak will kick off “David Trueba, Recent Works,” a weeklong program. Events featured include a book signing, and opening talk, and screenings of Trueba’s three films.

Check out gablescinema.com for more information on upcoming events.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...