Volunteers treat patients in underprivileged countries

Volunteer Francesca Raffa provides care for a child during one of the VIDA trips. Courtesy Daniel McCormack

The Costa Rica seen in movies and postcards has picturesque palms, ocean views and plunging waves. Unfortunately, this is not the Costa Rica that most natives experience.

Many Costa Ricans living in rural areas often lack access to doctoral care. Simple illnesses like colds, dengue fever and diarrhea are usually left untreated and result in severe conditions.

Volunteers for Intercultural and Definitive Adventures (VIDA) attempts to meet the need for healthcare. VIDA is a student volunteer organization working to combat these illnesses by making annual trips to third-world countries and providing clinical care to natives, free of charge.

“VIDA gives students a chance to get hands-on experience in the medical or dental field,” said Daniel McCormack, a biology major and the student coordinator for the trip.

The students, along with a certified nurse and doctor, assist in providing patients diagnoses, treatment and medication. During VIDA’s last trip to Costa Rica, a native boy arrived at the clinic complaining of a terrible headache. An examination uncovered a dead bug buried deep in the boy’s ear. An aural rinse dislodged the bug and relieved the boy’s headache.

On a typical trip, students learn to take patient vitals, diagnose common illnesses, administer shots, assist doctors during dental surgeries and much more.

“VIDA helps prospective medical and dental students stand apart from their peers,” McCormack said. “Whereas many can say they have shadowed a doctor, not many can say they’ve treated patients in a third-world country.”

Volunteers can expect seven to eight working hours per day while on the trip, which usually lasts about 11 days. However, these trips are not entirely focused on work.

“On trips, students can learn from experienced doctors, enjoy a different culture, go white water rafting, eat amazing food, meet great people and distinguish themselves from their peers at the same time,” McCormack said.

If you go:

The next VIDA trips to Costa Rica and Nicaragua are scheduled for January 2012.

The final day to apply is Oct. 3. Spots are limited.

For more info, email Daniel McCormack at danielmccormack1@gmail.com.

About Author

Ross Ito

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...