Staff Editorial 9/8: Racism continues a decade later

The terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, changed the face of our country and the world as we know it. Ten years have passed, but we’re still feeling the attack’s repercussions, and we’ll continue to feel them for years to come.

The attacks changed our foreign policy for the long term. Domestically, however, it has affected how we treat Muslims daily.

According to a study conducted by Arizona State University and the University of California, Irvine, “It is clear that perceived threat and feelings evoked by the events of 9/11 and memories of those events are related to adults’ political attitudes and attitudes toward minorities and perceived outgroups.”

Also, anyone that’s been to an airport in the last 10 years has heard stories of “suspicious-looking” people being “randomly” chosen to be searched more thoroughly. Many Muslim groups across the world have protested over the years that these “suspicious-looking” people are either of Muslim or Arab descent.

On campus, Muslim students have an undeniable presence; many belong to the Muslim Students Organization and the Islamic Society. Others are members of JAM (Jews and Muslims), a group that advocates peaceful relations between the two religions. Also, there are prayers held every Friday at 1:30 p.m. in the UC ballrooms. The one thing missing is a student center, but that absence is due to a lack of funds.

Yes, UM and the city of Miami are known for its diversity, and we may not notice much blatant racism here. But the two are not a microcosm of the rest of the country, and some communities are banding together against their Muslim residents.

Even in New York City, which is known for its liberal attitude, the New York Police Department reportedly spied on the local Muslim community, including more than 250 mosques and Muslim students groups, the Associated Press reported.

But that begs the question: Where does the line get drawn?

Many people seemingly fail to realize that terrorists attacked our country. They were Muslim, yes, but they attacked because they were terrorists. “Muslim” and “terrorist” are not synonymous.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Staff Editorial 9/8: Racism continues a decade later”

1. Arafat says:

And here:

Quran (9:123) – “O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness.”

+++++++++
    Quran (61:4) – “Surely Allah loves those who fight in His way”
    ++++++++++++
    Bukhari (52:177) – Allah’s Apostle said, “The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. “O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him.”
    +++++++
    Bukhari (52:220) – Allah’s Apostle said… ‘I have been made victorious with terror’

+++++++
    Bukhari (8:387) – Allah’s Apostle said, “I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: ‘None has the right to be worshipped but Allah

++++++++++

Tabari 7:97 The morning after the murder of Ashraf, the Prophet declared, “Kill any Jew who falls under your power.”

2. Arafat says:

Islam and terrorism are not synonymous is true, but here is why they are compatible.
    +++++++++

Quran (2:216) – “Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.”
    ++++++++++++
    Quran (4:76) – “Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah…”

+++++++++++

Quran (8:12) – “I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them”

3. Arafat says:

Head in the cloud award. Just kidding.

Begs the question: Why are 99% of the terrorist attacks committed by Muslims?

And as an aside…the website “Religion of Peace and a Whole Big Stack of Dead Bodies” keeps a meticulous daily list of terrorist attacks and it’s worth noting that since 9/11 there have been over 17,000 attacks committed by Muslims. Heck just this week they attacked a courthouse in New Delhi (12 dead), twin suicide bombers in Quetta Pakistan killed 26, and hacked to death 8 members of a Christian family in Tatu Nigeria.

But why would anyone dare associate Islam with terrorism/ How silly of us!

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...