New mythological exhibit at the Lowe

Bali Bima in Underworld, from Bima Swarga, early 20th century ink and paint on muslin, 34 1/4 x 40" Gift of Estelle Shaw, 65.045.340 Courtesy Lowe Art Museum

“Sacred Stories, Timeless Tales: Mythic Traditions in World Art,” currently on exhibit at the Lowe Art Museum, offers a glimpse into global mythology over 5,000 years.

“More than 20 years of curatorial exploration of the Lowe’s rich permanent collection, which represents some 5,000 years of world art, inspired me to organize an exhibition that illustrated connections that exist between cultures that I found intriguing, both iconographically and aesthetically, based on mythic traditions that have been developed by peoples world-wide,” said Denise M. Gerson, associate director of the Lowe and curator of the exhibit.

Pieces vary in medium and origin, including a 19th century Chinese robe, a sixth century Greek sculpture, which depicts a scene featuring Athena and a recent metal cutout of a siren by a Haitian artist.

“Making the final selection of art objects was challenging,” Gerson said. “I could only include about 130 of them.”

The exhibit was created from the Lowe’s permanent collection of 18,000 different pieces.

“I also wanted to feature works of art from all cultures represented at the Lowe in as many mediums as possible. Finally, as I was  collaborating with my director and the Lowe’s five consulting curators, all of whom made the selections in their areas of expertise, coordination was, at times, a bit complicated.”

If You Go:

Where: Lowe Art Museum

When: Now through Oct. 23

What: 130 pieces spanning 5,000 years

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “New mythological exhibit at the Lowe”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...