Here’s to a new start; here’s to Miami

Eight a.m.: Wake up not feeling like P. Diddy because it’s too early for class. It’s sunny outside, but the trees certainly help; fish are jumping; ducks walking everywhere; so many new faces walking past me; I hope I’m going the right way to class; which building was it?

9:28 a.m.: Well, that wasn’t too bad; classes certainly aren’t as big as I thought they would be; my teacher is pretty punny (adj. describes someone who cleverly uses puns); so many FSU jokes; so much football drama; so much ice cream everywhere; seriously, there’s a substantial amount of ice cream on this campus, but I’m not complaining.

12:36 p.m.: So hungry. How is it sunny and thundering? Walking takes a long time, but everyone seems to walk, longboard, scooter … or ride a foldable bike? Walking while whistling musical melodies passes the time; bringing my iPod would have been a good idea. Laughter is just as good as any music though and there’s a lot of laughter here. People are laughing with other people; people laughing at other people; people laughing out loud (really loud); people laughing to themselves; people, like me, wondering what was so funny.

3:17 p.m.: Sunny, raining and thundering? How does that even work?

5:49 p.m.: It’s the Goldilocks temperature now that the weather has made up its mind. It’s so relaxing. I’m loving these gliders. New friends are saying hello; parents saying goodbye … parents are still here? Parents are a bit too attached perhaps? But I don’t judge. I don’t think a lot of people here do.

9:03 p.m.: These dorms are exceedingly green and orange oriented, yet the students living in the mare so diverse. So many people: shy people, party people, Hispanic people, German people, Italian people, Chinese people, athletic people, artistic people. My favorite: people who are willing to indulge in new experiences, have the courage to build new friendships and consider new ideas.

Here’s to a new start. This is the start of Miami and me.

Alanna Phillips

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Here’s to a new start; here’s to Miami”

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...