Greek events continue at the Rathskeller

While the new Rathskeller still incorporates many elements of the old, one feature is glaringly missing – the stage.

“The stage is definitely what I will miss most about the old Rat,” said Ashley Drake, president of the Panhellenic Association and a server at the Rat.

The raised stage at the former Rat was a popular venue for Greek philanthropic events.

“At [Greek] pageants, people put on funny performances, and the atmosphere of the old Rat was cozy so people felt comfortable,” said Madison Godesky, a junior in the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority. “Food and beer always make things more intimate.”

However, the Rat’s current location does not easily allow for such staged events.

“The construction of the new Student Activities Center has raised a challenge, but we aren’t worried because there are other spaces on campus,” Drake said. “It is likely that we will use the UC patio or the Rock for events.”

However, the temporary alternatives have setbacks. Rain often constrains the use of outdoor spaces and these areas often get filled quickly.

The simulated tour of the future Student Activities Center shows no stage in the new Rathskeller’s design. However, the multipurpose room on the building’s top floor will hold seating for 800 and have a panoramic view of the lake.

Some employees are pleased that the Rat no longer has a stage. Dominic Castillejo, a UM graduate who continues to work at the Rat, said that the loud commotion at Greek events used to give him a headache at work.

“From an employee standpoint, I think the change will be for the better,” Castillejo said. “The Greeks will still come to the Rat, pay their bills and then head over to whatever event they have. If held at the UC patio, it will be so close and won’t make much of a difference.”

He agrees that people in the Greek community will eat and drink at the Rat before the events while the construction and renovation takes place.

“It’s definitely a challenge thinking of new venues for some of the events, like O-Cheer and Greek God and Goddess, but it also gives us a great chance to branch out and see what else campus has to offer,” said Melissa Guller, co-chair of the Greek Week planning committee. “We’re hoping to make this year’s Greek Week the best yet, and hopefully some of the new locations we use will make the events even better.”

Chelsea Kimmey

Assistant News Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...