Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Close-knit group bonds in pool

Members of the Men's Club Water Polo Team at the University of Miami wrestle the ball away from one another during a scrimmage on Tuesday night. While the men and women compete on separate squads, the water polo club is co-ed, consisting of 45 undergraduate and graduate students. The men compete during the fall semester whereas the women play in the spring. "We normally don't warm-up this quickly," says team captain Anthony Kanelidis, "but we're trying to get some practice time in before the storm hits! Katie Sikora//The Miami Hurricane

From a distance, one can hear a whistle blowing, people shouting and a ball being thrown around. No, the players are not on a field. Instead, they can be found in the University Center (UC) pool playing water polo.

Water polo consists of a team of six field players and one goalkeeper. The object of the game is to score the most points by throwing a ball into a net defended by a goalie.

UM’s water polo team was founded by Jimena Lopez, who is now the team’s instructor. Lopez was asked to coach by her younger brother and his friends who wanted to take the sport more seriously.

The water polo team has improved greatly over the past year. It has gone from being ranked last, to fourth in the nation. Currently, it is first in the state. This achievement is due to the strong work ethic of the players who practice, rain or shine.

“No experience is necessary to become part of the water polo team and it is a great way to get in shape and it is a lot of fun,” junior Anthony Kanelidis said.

Kanelidis, a neuroscience major, is the team’s current president. He has been involved in water polo since his freshman year as vice-president. Kanelidis, along with teammates Ricky Herrera and Juan Lopez, attended Belen Jesuit Preparatory School where they were water polo state champions. They have brought their love for the game to UM and carried the team to new highs.

“Water polo has taught me leadership skills, communication skills and to be a team player,” Kanelidis said.

Herrera, a junior majoring in neuroscience, enjoys the “camaraderie in and out of the water.”

The team has over 50 members who are mostly male, but it manages to have a strong female presence. Kanita Chonecadeedumrongkul, a junior majoring in environmental engineering, enjoys playing water polo because it is a great outlet to vent frustration.

“It’s a place where you can let go of your daily frustration and just play and concentrate on the game,” she said. “Coming from out of state, it feels welcoming to be part of a team that is so close-knit like water polo.”

The water polo team is a very diverse group composed of people from all over the world who come together to play a sport they all love.

They have a tournament on Sept. 17 and 18 at UCF, and the water polo state championship will be hosted by UM on Oct. 23 and 24.  Anyone interested in joining the team can meet them Mondays through Thursdays from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the UC pool.

Rosa Orihuela

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...