Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Close-knit group bonds in pool

Members of the Men's Club Water Polo Team at the University of Miami wrestle the ball away from one another during a scrimmage on Tuesday night. While the men and women compete on separate squads, the water polo club is co-ed, consisting of 45 undergraduate and graduate students. The men compete during the fall semester whereas the women play in the spring. "We normally don't warm-up this quickly," says team captain Anthony Kanelidis, "but we're trying to get some practice time in before the storm hits! Katie Sikora//The Miami Hurricane

From a distance, one can hear a whistle blowing, people shouting and a ball being thrown around. No, the players are not on a field. Instead, they can be found in the University Center (UC) pool playing water polo.

Water polo consists of a team of six field players and one goalkeeper. The object of the game is to score the most points by throwing a ball into a net defended by a goalie.

UM’s water polo team was founded by Jimena Lopez, who is now the team’s instructor. Lopez was asked to coach by her younger brother and his friends who wanted to take the sport more seriously.

The water polo team has improved greatly over the past year. It has gone from being ranked last, to fourth in the nation. Currently, it is first in the state. This achievement is due to the strong work ethic of the players who practice, rain or shine.

“No experience is necessary to become part of the water polo team and it is a great way to get in shape and it is a lot of fun,” junior Anthony Kanelidis said.

Kanelidis, a neuroscience major, is the team’s current president. He has been involved in water polo since his freshman year as vice-president. Kanelidis, along with teammates Ricky Herrera and Juan Lopez, attended Belen Jesuit Preparatory School where they were water polo state champions. They have brought their love for the game to UM and carried the team to new highs.

“Water polo has taught me leadership skills, communication skills and to be a team player,” Kanelidis said.

Herrera, a junior majoring in neuroscience, enjoys the “camaraderie in and out of the water.”

The team has over 50 members who are mostly male, but it manages to have a strong female presence. Kanita Chonecadeedumrongkul, a junior majoring in environmental engineering, enjoys playing water polo because it is a great outlet to vent frustration.

“It’s a place where you can let go of your daily frustration and just play and concentrate on the game,” she said. “Coming from out of state, it feels welcoming to be part of a team that is so close-knit like water polo.”

The water polo team is a very diverse group composed of people from all over the world who come together to play a sport they all love.

They have a tournament on Sept. 17 and 18 at UCF, and the water polo state championship will be hosted by UM on Oct. 23 and 24.  Anyone interested in joining the team can meet them Mondays through Thursdays from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the UC pool.

Rosa Orihuela

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Close-knit group bonds in pool”

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...