Staff editorial 9/1: Bachmann should go back home

On Monday, Michelle Bachmann came to Miami to garner support from voters.  Quite frankly, she struck a sour note here at the U, and left people more agitated than pumped.

Her efforts seemed like a thinly veiled attempt to appeal to Miamians at all costs, drinking Cuban coffee and saying she plans to make Marco Rubio her running mate. She’s currently third in Florida’s polls. Miami-Dade is the largest GOP county in the state, with Cuban Americans making up around 70 percent of the registered republican voters.

Beyond the eye-rolling that this brought on, Bachmann’s stances and what she actually said raised our hackles far more than her politics. She mentioned God in her speech, which is disconcerting in a potential presidential candidate. Our country was founded on the idea of the separation of church and state. If she wants to believe in God, that’s her business. But to use God as a reason to drill for oil in the Everglades, and later rescind her statement by saying it was a joke? We’re not buying it.

Bachmann wants to drill in a national park. The Everglades serves as a habitat for numerous threatened and endangered species. If Bachmann’s plan comes to fruition and drilling does happen, this will be putting an even greater strain on an already shrinking ecosystem. Drilling in Florida is different from drilling in Alaska, for example, because people actually live here and boundaries between the Everglades and residential areas have become a bit blurred over time.

Fewer environmental regulations isn’t exactly what we need. The entire city has been swamped because of all the rain, and building in the Everglades won’t exactly help the natural flow of the water from land to ocean.

All that being said, we’d like to congratulate Bachmann for making it this far in the presidential race. But, the bottom line is that it’s time for her to head home. She’s clearly not the candidate the Republican Party is currently endorsing, so why should we?

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

Miami fell behind early and could not recover Sunday afternoon, falling in the series finale to host ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...