Mitt Romney flip-flops in a league of his own

If Mitt Romney, who many Americans see as the Republican front-runner in the primaries, ends up facing President Barack Obama in the general election, the latter’s campaign will have a field day with the former’s political track record. Every major politician flip-flops to an extent, but Romney really takes the cake in that department.

Let’s start with the obvious: the Massachusetts health care law he signed in 2006. Although the plan did not raise taxes, it increased subsidies for all state residents who earned up to 150 percent over the federal poverty line. Furthermore, his plan set up a form of health exchange where individuals and businesses could shop around for plans. Finally, it established an individual and employer mandate to buy insurance, ensuring that most Massachusetts residents were required to have insurance. Any of this sound familiar? Well, the plan has many of the same basics that President Obama’s recent health care law has, something that Romney now so ardently and gleefully denounces.

Is that explanation insufficient? Once a supporter of a woman’s right to choose, Romney is now a staunch pro-life advocate. He also once expressed his empathy for Log Cabin Republicans and even argued that gays should serve openly in the military. Not anymore. In the past, he supported background checks for gun purchases and bans on certain assault weapons. So much for being a pro-gun candidate.

The old Romney looks more like President Obama and the Democrats than a conservative Republican. In fact, the 1990s Romney, even a Republican back then, said that he had no intention of following in the ideological footsteps of former President Ronald Reagan. Today’s Romney champions himself as a new Reaganite. You know, Mitt, changing political views is entirely reasonable. Changing them to fit the political climate of the day is not.  Calling you a flip-flopper may actually make sense.

Guarav Dhiman is the President of UM’s Young and College Democrats.

Gaurav Dhiman

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...