Mitt Romney flip-flops in a league of his own

If Mitt Romney, who many Americans see as the Republican front-runner in the primaries, ends up facing President Barack Obama in the general election, the latter’s campaign will have a field day with the former’s political track record. Every major politician flip-flops to an extent, but Romney really takes the cake in that department.

Let’s start with the obvious: the Massachusetts health care law he signed in 2006. Although the plan did not raise taxes, it increased subsidies for all state residents who earned up to 150 percent over the federal poverty line. Furthermore, his plan set up a form of health exchange where individuals and businesses could shop around for plans. Finally, it established an individual and employer mandate to buy insurance, ensuring that most Massachusetts residents were required to have insurance. Any of this sound familiar? Well, the plan has many of the same basics that President Obama’s recent health care law has, something that Romney now so ardently and gleefully denounces.

Is that explanation insufficient? Once a supporter of a woman’s right to choose, Romney is now a staunch pro-life advocate. He also once expressed his empathy for Log Cabin Republicans and even argued that gays should serve openly in the military. Not anymore. In the past, he supported background checks for gun purchases and bans on certain assault weapons. So much for being a pro-gun candidate.

The old Romney looks more like President Obama and the Democrats than a conservative Republican. In fact, the 1990s Romney, even a Republican back then, said that he had no intention of following in the ideological footsteps of former President Ronald Reagan. Today’s Romney champions himself as a new Reaganite. You know, Mitt, changing political views is entirely reasonable. Changing them to fit the political climate of the day is not.  Calling you a flip-flopper may actually make sense.

Guarav Dhiman is the President of UM’s Young and College Democrats.

Gaurav Dhiman

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...