Soccer, Sports

Soccer wins two in Utah

This past Sunday afternoon, the UM Women’s soccer team captured a decisive 4-1 victory over Utah Valley.
Just fifty-two seconds into the game, junior forward Kate Howarth put the Hurricanes on the scoreboard with her third goal of the season, assisted by sophomore forward Blake Stockton.
Freshman forward Shannon Caspar contributed to the ‘Canes early lead with her first collegiate goal in the eleventh minute of the first half.
The Hurricanes continued the strong scoring front with junior midfielder Fatima Nasser’s unassisted goal in the forty-ninth minute.
Utah Valley broke through the Hurricane’s three-goal lead with a seventy-eighth minute goal by Shalayne Janis.
With her second goal of the game in the eighty-third minute, Caspar solidified the Hurricane lead and locked in the team’s 4-1 victory.
The ‘Canes’ win over Utah Valley finishes out a successful road trip with Friday’s thrilling match against Brigham Young University.

After a scoreless first half, freshman defender Hannah Moehling buried the lone goal of the match in the seventy-second minute from just outside the 18-yard box, in her third collegiate appearance since joining the UM squad.

Senior goalkeeper Vikkie Alonzo earned her second shutout of the season and twenty-fifth of her career.

With the second largest home crowd in BYU’s history, the Hurricanes delivered the Cougars first loss in a ten-game win streak that dates back to 2009.

UM will return to Cobb Stadium on September 4 at 1 p.m. to take the field against Duquesne.

Kristen Spillane

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Soccer wins two in Utah”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...