Soccer, Sports

Soccer wins two in Utah

This past Sunday afternoon, the UM Women’s soccer team captured a decisive 4-1 victory over Utah Valley.
Just fifty-two seconds into the game, junior forward Kate Howarth put the Hurricanes on the scoreboard with her third goal of the season, assisted by sophomore forward Blake Stockton.
Freshman forward Shannon Caspar contributed to the ‘Canes early lead with her first collegiate goal in the eleventh minute of the first half.
The Hurricanes continued the strong scoring front with junior midfielder Fatima Nasser’s unassisted goal in the forty-ninth minute.
Utah Valley broke through the Hurricane’s three-goal lead with a seventy-eighth minute goal by Shalayne Janis.
With her second goal of the game in the eighty-third minute, Caspar solidified the Hurricane lead and locked in the team’s 4-1 victory.
The ‘Canes’ win over Utah Valley finishes out a successful road trip with Friday’s thrilling match against Brigham Young University.

After a scoreless first half, freshman defender Hannah Moehling buried the lone goal of the match in the seventy-second minute from just outside the 18-yard box, in her third collegiate appearance since joining the UM squad.

Senior goalkeeper Vikkie Alonzo earned her second shutout of the season and twenty-fifth of her career.

With the second largest home crowd in BYU’s history, the Hurricanes delivered the Cougars first loss in a ten-game win streak that dates back to 2009.

UM will return to Cobb Stadium on September 4 at 1 p.m. to take the field against Duquesne.

Kristen Spillane

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...