8/29: Sports Briefs

Volleyball

After opening the season with three straight wins against Jacksonville State, Louisiana-Lafayette and LSU, the Canes volleyball team will hit the road once again for the Pepperdine Asics Classic next week in Malibu, Calif. There, they will face off against UC Santa Barbara, Georgia and Pepperdine. The team will return to Coral Gables for their first home game of the season on Sept. 8 against Florida A&M.

Senior Lane Carico is one of 30 student-athletes to have been nominated for the 2011 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award. The award goes out to an NCAA athlete who is a senior and exemplifies excellence in the community, classroom, overall character and competition. Carico went into the 2011 season looking to break the school record for kills, which is held by Karla Johnson.

Football

Category 5 has announced that it will be sponsoring an away trip for the UM-FSU game taking place on Nov. 12. Registration for the trip is done online and does not guarantee a spot on the trip. Students have until Sept. 11 at 11:59 p.m. to register, with winners and alternates being chosen and notified on Sept. 12. To register, visit the Category 5 page at miami.edu.

Soccer

The Canes soccer team got off to a quick start, scoring their first goal against Utah Valley just 52 seconds into the match. They never looked back and came away with a 4-1 victory on Sunday afternoon. That followed a 1-0 win against BYU on Friday. The team will now have a week off before returning home to face Duquesne on Sunday. The game will be at Cobb Stadium at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

About Author

Stephanie Parra Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...