8/29: Sports Briefs

Volleyball

After opening the season with three straight wins against Jacksonville State, Louisiana-Lafayette and LSU, the Canes volleyball team will hit the road once again for the Pepperdine Asics Classic next week in Malibu, Calif. There, they will face off against UC Santa Barbara, Georgia and Pepperdine. The team will return to Coral Gables for their first home game of the season on Sept. 8 against Florida A&M.

Senior Lane Carico is one of 30 student-athletes to have been nominated for the 2011 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award. The award goes out to an NCAA athlete who is a senior and exemplifies excellence in the community, classroom, overall character and competition. Carico went into the 2011 season looking to break the school record for kills, which is held by Karla Johnson.

Football

Category 5 has announced that it will be sponsoring an away trip for the UM-FSU game taking place on Nov. 12. Registration for the trip is done online and does not guarantee a spot on the trip. Students have until Sept. 11 at 11:59 p.m. to register, with winners and alternates being chosen and notified on Sept. 12. To register, visit the Category 5 page at miami.edu.

Soccer

The Canes soccer team got off to a quick start, scoring their first goal against Utah Valley just 52 seconds into the match. They never looked back and came away with a 4-1 victory on Sunday afternoon. That followed a 1-0 win against BYU on Friday. The team will now have a week off before returning home to face Duquesne on Sunday. The game will be at Cobb Stadium at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...