High gas prices, more frustration

The perennial problem of rising gas prices is an issue that all UM students face. It hits incoming freshman commuter students especially hard.

According to gasbuddy.com, the average price of regular gas at the pump in Miami is $3.68, with prices in the Coral Gables area often reaching $3.85 per gallon.

In an effort to save money, many commuters carpool when they can. Some students take saving money a step further.

“To get more miles per gallon, I changed my spark plugs and got rid of excess weight in my car,” freshman commuter Joseph Ryan Socarras said.

The rising prices cause problems for students’ lives as well as their wallets.

“My best friend lives in Kendall and I live much farther north, so it’s difficult for us to hang out often,” freshman commuter Hector Castaneda said. “I don’t want to waste gas.”

According to nyse.tv, crude oil prices have dropped to about $85.37 per barrel as of August 2011, much lower than the prices of about $100 per barrel that were seen earlier this year.

Unfortunately for students, this does not equate to a drop in gas prices. Since gasoline is a refined form of crude oil, its price is not just set by the cost of its raw materials, but its production, distribution and other factors.

“It sucks,” freshman commuter Tahreem Hashmi said.  “Why isn’t it dropping? It’s frustrating, especially as a commuter student.”

Jordan Grana

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “High gas prices, more frustration”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...