Don’t stress about football, enjoy fall semester

This isn’t a discussion on the NCAA investigation into our football program. Although this is a serious situation, people may be overreacting. This is a university built on more than just football.

The fall season does mean ‘Cane pride for most UM fans. Lately, there’s been a grumble about what will happen if we lose our program, regardless of the duration of our suspension. I’ve heard a lot of crazy threats from students, the most extreme being to transfer to a school with a better football team. Yikes. Instead of worrying and being silly, there are a lot of other options to take up your time.

Maybe you never studied abroad because of one reason or another. Or you couldn’t in the fall because you were not just about to miss football season. Well, now’s your chance to get out there. Check out some of UM’s programs and talk to people about their experiences and what worked and what didn’t.

Exploring new things could also be on your agenda. If you’re trying to see more of Miami, go to the Wynwood Art Walk on the second Saturday of every month. Check out the music scene; there’s a lot of great shows coming up for this fall for all genres of music. Enjoy the “Generous Pour Wine” event on Saturdays at Capital Grille. Take a weekend trip somewhere. Go up to Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights. Have an adventure at Fantasy Fest.

Needless to say, our football future is a little worrisome, but only time will tell what will happen. Until then though, there’s no need to lose our heads over this. Instead, enjoy the other things.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Don’t stress about football, enjoy fall semester”

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...