8/29 – news briefs

Get a chance to be Sebastian the Ibis 

Full-time students, not including athletes, have the chance to get on the field. Auditions will be held for a new mascot. If interested, attend the information session on Sept. 22 at 6 p.m. in UC 211. For more information, email Connie Nickel at cnickel@miami.edu.

Become a Peace Corps volunteer 

The Peace Corps will host a career fair and returned-volunteer panel on Sept. 7 for their 50th anniversary. The event will take place at the BankUnited Center’s Fieldhouse. The “Making A Difference” Career Fair is from 4 to 6 p.m., and the panel will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. RSVP by Thursday to eventsmanagement@miami.edu or call 305-284-6486.

Cooking Classes

Learn how to create cuisines from around the world at the Wellness Center this semester. Each class focuses on a specific taste; for example, September’s classes include “Peruvian Cuisine” and “Cucina Italiana.” The classes will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Enrichment Suite on the second floor. It is encouraged that those interested pre-register in person at the Wellness Suite or by calling 305-284-LIFE, ext. 5433. Prices vary for each class.

Writing contest offers free Kindle 

The Lowe Art Museum is holding a writing contest for the current exhibition, “Sacred Stories, Timeless Tales: Mythic Traditions in World Art.” Create an original story or poem inspired by one of the works. The winning entries will be posted on the Lowe’s website and the author will win a Kindle e-reader. The deadline for submission is Oct. 4. Entries should be emailed to lamedu@miami.edu. The Lowe offers free admission to UM students. For more information, email Jodi Sypher, curator of education, at jsypher@miami.edu.

Chelsea Kimmey may be contacted at ckimmey@themiamihurricane.com.

Chelsea Kimmey

Assistant News Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...