Who to blame when a car accident occurs

Florida law recognizes a concept called “comparative negligence.” Comparative negligence is how insurance companies and juries apportion (or distribute) fault. So if you are entitled to $10,000 for injuries sustained in a car accident, but you are found to be 50 percent comparatively negligent (i.e. that the accident was 50 percent your fault), you would be entitled to only $5,000.

Insurance companies make it their mission to try to find any reason to assign you blame in an accident. This is just one of many reasons why you need a personal-injury attorney to help you fight this fight.

I have seen situations where police officers, who I have the utmost respect for, make mistakes in when they issue a ticket or document an accident. Just because the police officer gives you a ticket or citation, this does not mean he or she properly investigated the facts (i.e. listened to your side of the story, elicited the germane facts from witnesses, etc.). Remember, the police officer tends to arrive at the scene of an accident AFTER the accident occurs! So they are not always in the best position to figure out who is really at fault.

Let’s say you run through an intersection as a light turns from yellow to red, and you hit another car. If you can show that the other car was speeding, failed to properly watch out for oncoming traffic, etc…, you could argue that some percentage should be properly assigned to the other driver for his or her failure to drive safely even if the accident is deemed mostly your fault.

Obviously, every situation is different. But when an accident is mostly your fault, a recovery may still be possible (i.e. 20 percent of something is better than nothing). These are the more challenging cases, but certainly worth investigating.

Jason Neufeld, Esq., a University of Miami alumnus, is an associate with Neufeld,Kleinberg & Pinkiert P.A (NKP). For more information, please visit http://www.nkplaw.com, dial 1-800-379-TEAM (8326), or email Jason directly atjneufeld@nkplaw.com

Jason Neufeld

Contributing columnist

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...