Survey sparks smoke-free initiative

University of Miami graduate students smoke their cigarettes while socalizing on campus. "It's segregation. We smoke outside, it's not like it's inside a classroom or our offices. We're not harming anyone," says Melyssa. Natalie Edgar//The Miami Hurricane

Almost a year after the Miller School of Medicine’s campus went smoke-free, the Coral Gables campus is rolling out a new plan to restrict smokers to designated areas.

The new initiative, which has yet to be named, will create designated smoking areas around the campus and will incorporate educational programs about the various smoke-free initiatives on campus.

It will also increase the resources available for students and faculty who wish to quit. The policy will not affect the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science campus.

“We want to minimize exposure to secondhand smoke and provide resources to students if they choose to not smoke,” said Gilbert Arias, assistant vice president for student affairs. “Our purpose is to make the campus safer.”

The previous policy banned smoking in all buildings and within 25 feet of the residential colleges and the Herbert Wellness Center.

The new initiative was inspired by a survey created by a committee of undergraduate, graduate and law students.

“I was sitting on the campus smoking research committee, and the committee was talking about what it thought students wanted,” said Ryan Aquilina, last year’s SG press secretary and creator of the survey. “So I thought, why don’t we find out what they actually want?”

More than 2,000 students responded to the survey, with the majority in favor of creating designated smoking areas. The faculty senate also approved the program.

“It was a joint effort,” Arias said.

Recently, a committee consisting of undergraduate, graduate and law students met to select the designated smoking areas. These areas will be evaluated throughout the course of the semester to determine their effectiveness.

“We chose areas that were close to buildings and out of regular traffic,” Arias said. “We have worked with facilities to put benches and chairs, if they don’t already exist, and ashtrays.”

The ashtrays are perched atop slender, silver poles that mimic the shape of cigarettes.

“It looks like a smoker’s pole,” Arias said. “It’s not unsightly.”

Over the course of the next years, the number of designated areas will slowly shrink until the campus is completely smoke-free. Arias hopes to create a league of smoke-free ambassadors to tackle enforcement.

The program will officially be launched on Sept. 1 with a kickoff on the Rock and the release of a website promoting the smoke-free policy and listing the resources available to students and faculty looking to quit.

Allison Goodman

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Survey sparks smoke-free initiative”

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...