Sports briefs 8-25

Men’s Basketball

The 2011-2012 basketball schedule was released Wednesday afternoon, which features a non-conference schedule with some interesting match-ups. The season opens up on Nov.11 at the Bank United Center against Tennessee Tech. Notable non-conference games include at Ole Miss and Purdue, a home series against Massachusetts and Memphis, and at West Virginia in December. Four of those five games are scheduled to be televised. The ACC portion of the schedule opens up in Virginia on January 7th.

Women’s Basketball

The University of Miami’s very own Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have been named to the 2011-2012 preseason “Wade Watch” list for the State Farm Wade Trophy Division I Player of the Year Award. They were two of 25 student-athletes who best characterize leadership, character, overall effect on their team, and overall playing ability, including game and season statistics. Both Johnson and Williams were included in the list at some point during the 2010-2011 season as well; Johnson during the preseason while Williams was included at midseason.

Swimming and Diving

Diver Carrie Dragland came away with the bronze medal in the women’s synchronized 3-meter event at the World University Games on Monday. Overall, she helped the United States come away with a silver medal overall, finishing second only to China.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...