Sports briefs 8-25

Men’s Basketball

The 2011-2012 basketball schedule was released Wednesday afternoon, which features a non-conference schedule with some interesting match-ups. The season opens up on Nov.11 at the Bank United Center against Tennessee Tech. Notable non-conference games include at Ole Miss and Purdue, a home series against Massachusetts and Memphis, and at West Virginia in December. Four of those five games are scheduled to be televised. The ACC portion of the schedule opens up in Virginia on January 7th.

Women’s Basketball

The University of Miami’s very own Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have been named to the 2011-2012 preseason “Wade Watch” list for the State Farm Wade Trophy Division I Player of the Year Award. They were two of 25 student-athletes who best characterize leadership, character, overall effect on their team, and overall playing ability, including game and season statistics. Both Johnson and Williams were included in the list at some point during the 2010-2011 season as well; Johnson during the preseason while Williams was included at midseason.

Swimming and Diving

Diver Carrie Dragland came away with the bronze medal in the women’s synchronized 3-meter event at the World University Games on Monday. Overall, she helped the United States come away with a silver medal overall, finishing second only to China.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...