Sports briefs 8-25

Men’s Basketball

The 2011-2012 basketball schedule was released Wednesday afternoon, which features a non-conference schedule with some interesting match-ups. The season opens up on Nov.11 at the Bank United Center against Tennessee Tech. Notable non-conference games include at Ole Miss and Purdue, a home series against Massachusetts and Memphis, and at West Virginia in December. Four of those five games are scheduled to be televised. The ACC portion of the schedule opens up in Virginia on January 7th.

Women’s Basketball

The University of Miami’s very own Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have been named to the 2011-2012 preseason “Wade Watch” list for the State Farm Wade Trophy Division I Player of the Year Award. They were two of 25 student-athletes who best characterize leadership, character, overall effect on their team, and overall playing ability, including game and season statistics. Both Johnson and Williams were included in the list at some point during the 2010-2011 season as well; Johnson during the preseason while Williams was included at midseason.

Swimming and Diving

Diver Carrie Dragland came away with the bronze medal in the women’s synchronized 3-meter event at the World University Games on Monday. Overall, she helped the United States come away with a silver medal overall, finishing second only to China.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...