Sports briefs 8-25

Men’s Basketball

The 2011-2012 basketball schedule was released Wednesday afternoon, which features a non-conference schedule with some interesting match-ups. The season opens up on Nov.11 at the Bank United Center against Tennessee Tech. Notable non-conference games include at Ole Miss and Purdue, a home series against Massachusetts and Memphis, and at West Virginia in December. Four of those five games are scheduled to be televised. The ACC portion of the schedule opens up in Virginia on January 7th.

Women’s Basketball

The University of Miami’s very own Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have been named to the 2011-2012 preseason “Wade Watch” list for the State Farm Wade Trophy Division I Player of the Year Award. They were two of 25 student-athletes who best characterize leadership, character, overall effect on their team, and overall playing ability, including game and season statistics. Both Johnson and Williams were included in the list at some point during the 2010-2011 season as well; Johnson during the preseason while Williams was included at midseason.

Swimming and Diving

Diver Carrie Dragland came away with the bronze medal in the women’s synchronized 3-meter event at the World University Games on Monday. Overall, she helped the United States come away with a silver medal overall, finishing second only to China.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

About Author

Ernesto Suarez Sports Editor

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...