Speaker encourages students for success

B

Courtesy University of Miami

According to Carl Schramm, CEO and president of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the solution to today’s troubled economy is students.

“You are being baptized by today’s troublesome times,” Schramm said during his speech. “You are going to change the society by inventing something and starting a business.”

Schramm spoke last Friday at the New Student Convocation, which was attended by incoming freshman, their families and other members of UM’s community.

“We have to invent a new economy because one thing separates us from the rest of the world – we want growth,” Schramm said.

The Kauffman Foundation is a non-profit association that promotes entrepreneurship and innovative thinking. They provided the initial grant for The Launch Pad and introduced the university to the Blackstone Foundation, which allowed The Launch Pad to become a model for a national job creation initiative.

“[UM] is the launch pad of The Launch Pad movement across America,” Schramm said. “We say make a job, don’t take a job.”

He emphasized economic growth for the sake of “human welfare.”

“Our duty as citizens is to make sure that we have wealth to ensure that human welfare is constantly expanded,” he said.

Though his speech was aimed at freshmen, much of it was applicable to the entire student body.

“You are in charge,” he said. “You can’t look to teachers, the government or big corporations for the map to your life. This is on your shoulders.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...