Seek the Greek in the Design District

A bit of Greece has made its way to the Design District.
Its simple, white exterior and surrounding areas may not impress at first, but upon entering, you’ll surely change your mind.
The décor and ambience take you on a quick trip to the Mediterranean; more specifically, a meek, quiet corner of Mykonos or Santorini. You’ll forget all about the typical hipster, artsy crowd the Design District is known for, and embark on a tour of a Greek isle.
The host and hostess, equipped with friendly smiles, immediately seat you upon entering, but given the restaurant’s recent popularity, I’d recommend making a reservation. If you have to wait to be seated, and are of age, you can certainly sit and order drinks at the bar. The bar, much like the rest of the restaurant, shares its minimalist style, but its backdrop draws the eye with a splash of color.
After being seated, I was promptly given a complimentary plate of rustic bread with a small trench of olive oil mixed with spices, capers and sun-dried tomatoes.
Immediately taking recommendations from my friendly waiter, I, along with my party, ordered tzatziki, bacalao croquettes, cucumber croquettes, crispy cheese pie and an horiatiki salad. The tzatziki was a garlic and cucumber yogurt-like dip for the bread. The croquettes each had a distinct taste. While the bacalao had more of a conch-fritter texture, crispy and tough, the cucumber offered a soothing purée consistency. But perhaps my favorite appetizer of all was the crispy cheese pie. Sprinkled with a bit of honey, crispy phyllo dough offered a serape for melted feta cheese. The horiatiki salad was a medley of Greek culinary staples, including black olives and feta cheese.
I enjoy lamb, so naturally the lamb shank entrée caught my eye. It’s served over a bed of Greek pasta and covered in tomato sauce. The nicely portioned entrée was enough for two. Because the appetizers were plentiful, this was the only main course my party of four had room to try. Next time I might try the pricier, grilled double-cut lamb chops, based on the flavor and tenderness of the lamb shank.
For dessert, we were offered the loukoumades, which is a tasty bit of Greek heaven. The pastry is showered with honey and streamed with walnuts and cinnamon. Offering a perfect combination of sweets and spices, the dessert serves as a representation of traditional Greek cooking – perfectly balanced meals.
Although there is no required dress code for the restaurant, you’d be wise to dress in your finest, Mediterranean couture; you are, after all, in Miami’s Design District.
The service was impeccable. Our waiter was attentive and prompt – there was never an empty glass. Prices were student-friendly, at an average of about $20, with the small plates costing significantly less.
The restaurant’s location is ideal for grabbing a bite after a night filled with art walks and gallery hopping.
After visiting Greece three years ago, I can truly say the restaurant transported my taste buds back to the beautiful sunsets and white, sandy beaches. The foods offered at the restaurant were an authentic representation of traditional Greek cuisine.

Editor’s Note: Egg & Dart provided Stephanie Parra’s meal free of charge.

IF YOU GO
WHAT: Egg & Dart
WHERE: 4029 N. Miami Ave., Miami
HOURS: Open nightly for dinner, 5 p.m. – midnight
PHONE NUMBER: 786-431-1022

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...