Performance takes humorous approach to daily struggles

By: Karla Durango

“So My Grandmother Died, Blah Blah Blah,” which opened Friday at the Light Box Theatre at Goldman Warehouse, is a refreshing, yet complex and fast-paced comedy. The play’s plot centers around the emotional journey of the not-so-successful comedy writer, Polly Chekhov (Melissa Almaguer), as she confronts details of her career, past relationships and her relationship with her family. More specifically, the protagonist battles writer’s block while writing the “perfect” eulogy for her grandmother.
Written and directed by Paul Tei, director of “Burn Notice” and Miami’s Mad Cat Theatre Company founder and artistic director, the play offers a special theatrical experience: The audience is situated just inches away and is at the same level as the performers. Thus, the audience is transported into Polly’s world and feels like it plays its own role.
As the only writer in the family, Polly is given the task of writing her grandmother’s eulogy. While she procrastinates, Polly takes her audience through a trippy, yet enlightening journey in which her own personal Greek chorus transforms into different personalities and charges the audience with a great deal of information from a wide mix of subjects.
The play makes several allusions to various people and their work, including Ezra Pound, Billy Joel, Glee, Facebook and the Miami Heat. Though the amount of information in the plot can be overwhelming at times, the actors do a great job of making the plot as clear as possible for the audience.
“So My Grandmother Died” contains a wonderful cast. Each of the performances are incredibly dynamic and truthful. All the actors demonstrate a great use of language and mastery of their craft. In particular, the chorus of deconstructionists (Anne Chamberlain, Ricky Waugh and Troy Davidson) shows an impressive range of versatility. They sing, dance, taunt, inspire and morph into different personalities, while making you laugh non-stop.
Most of the action takes place in Polly’s parents’ house, and the set and light design brilliantly evoke the feeling of comfort and warmth that one generally associates with home.
If you seek some humor, and yearn to be moved by a young girl’s realistic struggles, this may be the play for you.

IF YOU GO
WHAT: “So My Grandmother Died, Blah, Blah, Blah”
WHERE: Light Box Theatre at Goldman Warehouse; 404 NW 26th St.
When: Aug. 19- Sept. 10
For MORE INFORMATION, VISIT: madcattheatre.org.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...