Learning to live in moderation

“It’s just one drink.”

I was just 15 years old when I heard that futile statement. Back then, I wasn’t too strong with the politics of drinking, but I knew it was something I didn’t want to do often. Now I’m forced to confront that sentence once again, but as a young adult who can actually make life-changing decisions.

Though it’s only four words, they pack a punch similar to that shot most college students drink. I knew that coming to Miami meant I’d be tempted by the infamous party scene, but contrary to what most of my friends assume, I did not choose Miami for that reason (I happen to like the fact it’s warm all year round). Drinking terms are somewhat a part of my vocabulary, but only when it comes to sodas and juices.

Though I know that sometime during the course of my college career in Miami I’ll probably have some drinks, I trust myself to keep it in moderation, unlike some notorious party rockers (cough-Amy Winehouse-cough). I’m not trying to land myself in rehab- no, no, no. I don’t think Winehouse only had a problem with alcohol, but a much bigger problem with indulgence and keeping herself in check.

Most of us don’t know when to stop, whether it be with drinking, shopping or even studying. We always want more, until we are passed out on the couch or suffering from a nervous breakdown. We don’t understand the meaning of limitations and allow something as unnecessary as rehab become the new focal point of our lives.

We make these potentially dangerous behaviors become “cool,” even “attractive.” There is nothing wrong with a simple glass of wine, but it’s really taking it too far if all you do is chug a beer every day.

Maybe if Ms. Winehouse learned to keep that first drink in check, she might still be with us today. I hope her sad story helps get out the message that things are better in moderation, and if that doesn’t work for you, there are always sober activities available for anyone who is willing to take advantage of them. For right now, I’ll decline that one drink.

Krystel Edwards

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...