Learning to live in moderation

“It’s just one drink.”

I was just 15 years old when I heard that futile statement. Back then, I wasn’t too strong with the politics of drinking, but I knew it was something I didn’t want to do often. Now I’m forced to confront that sentence once again, but as a young adult who can actually make life-changing decisions.

Though it’s only four words, they pack a punch similar to that shot most college students drink. I knew that coming to Miami meant I’d be tempted by the infamous party scene, but contrary to what most of my friends assume, I did not choose Miami for that reason (I happen to like the fact it’s warm all year round). Drinking terms are somewhat a part of my vocabulary, but only when it comes to sodas and juices.

Though I know that sometime during the course of my college career in Miami I’ll probably have some drinks, I trust myself to keep it in moderation, unlike some notorious party rockers (cough-Amy Winehouse-cough). I’m not trying to land myself in rehab- no, no, no. I don’t think Winehouse only had a problem with alcohol, but a much bigger problem with indulgence and keeping herself in check.

Most of us don’t know when to stop, whether it be with drinking, shopping or even studying. We always want more, until we are passed out on the couch or suffering from a nervous breakdown. We don’t understand the meaning of limitations and allow something as unnecessary as rehab become the new focal point of our lives.

We make these potentially dangerous behaviors become “cool,” even “attractive.” There is nothing wrong with a simple glass of wine, but it’s really taking it too far if all you do is chug a beer every day.

Maybe if Ms. Winehouse learned to keep that first drink in check, she might still be with us today. I hope her sad story helps get out the message that things are better in moderation, and if that doesn’t work for you, there are always sober activities available for anyone who is willing to take advantage of them. For right now, I’ll decline that one drink.

Krystel Edwards

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Here was a man who they aspired to be. Here was a millionaire. A local legend. An NFL star. A man wh ...

The Miami Hurricanes, fueled by exceptional pitching in both ends of a doubleheader, refuse to surre ...

Miles Wilson has narrowed his choices to Miami and Auburn, and will announce his decision after visi ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Thursday’s graduate degree ceremony was the largest in UM history ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...

Game times have been set for the 2017 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship, and sixth-see ...

The University of Miami women's golf team waited around for nearly three hours to begin Day 2 c ...

Edgar Michelangeli capped the regular season with a walk-off, three-run home run, as Miami earned it ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Friday at the NCAA C ...