Learning to live in moderation

“It’s just one drink.”

I was just 15 years old when I heard that futile statement. Back then, I wasn’t too strong with the politics of drinking, but I knew it was something I didn’t want to do often. Now I’m forced to confront that sentence once again, but as a young adult who can actually make life-changing decisions.

Though it’s only four words, they pack a punch similar to that shot most college students drink. I knew that coming to Miami meant I’d be tempted by the infamous party scene, but contrary to what most of my friends assume, I did not choose Miami for that reason (I happen to like the fact it’s warm all year round). Drinking terms are somewhat a part of my vocabulary, but only when it comes to sodas and juices.

Though I know that sometime during the course of my college career in Miami I’ll probably have some drinks, I trust myself to keep it in moderation, unlike some notorious party rockers (cough-Amy Winehouse-cough). I’m not trying to land myself in rehab- no, no, no. I don’t think Winehouse only had a problem with alcohol, but a much bigger problem with indulgence and keeping herself in check.

Most of us don’t know when to stop, whether it be with drinking, shopping or even studying. We always want more, until we are passed out on the couch or suffering from a nervous breakdown. We don’t understand the meaning of limitations and allow something as unnecessary as rehab become the new focal point of our lives.

We make these potentially dangerous behaviors become “cool,” even “attractive.” There is nothing wrong with a simple glass of wine, but it’s really taking it too far if all you do is chug a beer every day.

Maybe if Ms. Winehouse learned to keep that first drink in check, she might still be with us today. I hope her sad story helps get out the message that things are better in moderation, and if that doesn’t work for you, there are always sober activities available for anyone who is willing to take advantage of them. For right now, I’ll decline that one drink.

Krystel Edwards

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...