Freshmen utilize Facebook to connect early

After making your college decision, there seems to be an unspoken rule that you are to immediately update your Facebook status with it, order a shirt from the online bookstore, and then, finally, join the class of “20-whatever” Facebook group, where you are thrust into meeting your 2,500 new classmates. Forget Aug.  18, this Facebook group is your unofficial orientation.

The conversation starts out general, as it often does at orientations. It starts with a “where’s everyone from?” and  soon becomes overwhelmed by everyone reppin’ their hometown.

After the introduction, there comes the “getting-to-know-everyone” game. “Hey! I’m Jackie and I love nice weather, having fun and being social! Work hard, party hard! Are there others out there like me?”

No way! That response received 200 likes! Who knew there was anyone else out there who liked those things?

The amiable atmosphere starts dulling away when one person has brings up the deadline to find your roommate.  After that, havoc ensues. All of a sudden, everyone is posting on each other’s walls, saying, “Still need a roommate! I’d prefer if you weren’t a kleptomaniac or someone who sleeps with a bag of toenails under their pillow, but I’d take anyone at this point. Add me!”

I immediately start getting friend requests with messages like, “Wanna room?”

Should I be turned off by their desperation and bluntness, or flattered that my default and hometown alone made them want to commit to breathing my same air for an entire school year?

It takes a lot of effort to screen potential roommate candidates. One girl listed “Bring It On 2” as her favorite movie – it could never work. Another could have been a good roommate, but she had a default with her cat and I’m totally allergic to them. What if she has cat hair on her clothes? Before you know it, I have  stalked them back to 2009 and know them better than I knew the lyrics to all of Blink 182’s songs.

I always heard that college was your chance to escape the choke hold high school had on your reputation, with its bleak walls preventing you from running free and being your true self. Every ‘90s family-oriented sitcom told me so. However, this was before Mark Zuckerberg showed up and Facebook changed the way we communicate forever.

You don’t just enter college blindly,  not knowing a single face besides that kid who graduated two years ago from your high school.  With those Facebook friends of yours, you now come in with a semi-clean slate.

There are pros and cons to living under the rules of a social networking site. While you can now find a group of people that watch “Entourage” as religiously as you do before you set foot on campus, everyone can see that mortifying photo tagged of you in 9th grade when you had a third-degree sunburn on your face. You decide: is it worth it?

Jackie Salo

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...