Debt deal to affect future grad students

A compromise in the debt deal that Washington has recently passed may make potential graduate students reconsider their choices for higher education.

Starting July 1, 2012, the federal government will no longer offer subsidized Stafford loans to graduate students. Before the debt deal, graduate students who qualified for financial assistance were not required to pay interest on up to $8,500 of government-issued loans while in school. The recent compromise includes medical and law school loans as well.

The Miami Herald reported that the deal will save the government $18 billion over the next decade. Legislators made this compromise to protect Pell Grants, which help fund undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need.  The deal has no impact on undergraduate loans.

The plan appears to significantly harm most graduate students. But many are not qualified for financial aid and are already required to take out loans that require interest payments while in school.

“Graduate students take out Grad PLUS loans, and I’m pretty sure we already start paying interest on those from the beginning,” said Lauren Spahn, a second-year law student.

Moreover, many students currently in graduate school will be able to complete their education before the law takes effect.

“This will not affect the amount that I take out,” said Leslie Watt, a second-year law student.

Nonetheless the loan changes will have a larger effect on future grad students. The lackluster economy has increased the desire for a graduate degree. Consequently, some students will be forced to borrow money for that education.

“I will think more economically now, but I’m still going to go to graduate school,” said junior Alex Lal.

However, others have been discouraged by Congress’s new measures.

“It obviously depends on the field, but if I’m going to have to pay interest while going to school, I might as well just try to join the work force earlier and forgo the gain from graduate school,” said senior Ben Reback.

With the economic uncertainty for potential grad students, the University of Miami’s graduate program has measures in place to lower the cost of graduate school for cash-strapped students.

“We have already taken steps to mitigate the effect of changes in the loan program,” said Margot Winnick, assistant VP of media relations. “We were concerned about the debt load students were taking on to fund their education and we wanted to be attractive to the best candidates for graduate programs.”

The potential graduate student must weigh the costs of their options to make the most financially sound decision for their future.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Debt deal to affect future grad students”

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...