Staff editorial: 10 things I wish I knew when I was a freshman

When a freshman sets foot on UM’s campus for the first time, he or she may feel a bit lost and adrift. There’s so much you don’t know, and a lot to learn. If you’re a freshman, you can rest a little easier; we’ve come to your rescue with some vital information we wish we’d known during our freshman years.

#1 – Laundry in the dorms: Be on time to get your stuff from the washer and dryer, or else.

#2 – You can sleep until 10:15 a.m. and make it to a 10:30 a.m. class.

#3 – Study spots to avoid:
Your dorm (including the study rooms, because there are always drunk people roaming around the hallways)
– The first floor of the library:
It’s called “Club Richter” for a reason.

#4 – Can’t make it to a party?  You’re not missing out. You may think you are at the time, but there is ALWAYS another party. And you can turn anything into a beer pong table.

#5 – Your best guy/girl friend can turn out to be your boy/girl friend.

#6 – Commuters: locate all the microwaves on campus. They will be your best friend when you’re trying to save money by packing lunches.

#7 – A quick 20-minute workout does wonders to beat stress and make you feel more energized.

#8 – Avoid the cross-campus sprint when you forget to print! Always note where the nearest printers are, according to where your classes are.  And yes, you can go into schools and colleges you don’t belong to. No one is going to yell and you or kick you out.

#9 – Enjoy your blank slate: Don’t be afraid to do something completely out of character, make a fool of yourself or try something new.

#10 – Senior year comes by fast. Take advantage of everything Miami has to offer.  Ultra, sporting events, etc. After all, you’re only young once!

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...