Staff editorial: 10 things I wish I knew when I was a freshman

When a freshman sets foot on UM’s campus for the first time, he or she may feel a bit lost and adrift. There’s so much you don’t know, and a lot to learn. If you’re a freshman, you can rest a little easier; we’ve come to your rescue with some vital information we wish we’d known during our freshman years.

#1 – Laundry in the dorms: Be on time to get your stuff from the washer and dryer, or else.

#2 – You can sleep until 10:15 a.m. and make it to a 10:30 a.m. class.

#3 – Study spots to avoid:
Your dorm (including the study rooms, because there are always drunk people roaming around the hallways)
– The first floor of the library:
It’s called “Club Richter” for a reason.

#4 – Can’t make it to a party?  You’re not missing out. You may think you are at the time, but there is ALWAYS another party. And you can turn anything into a beer pong table.

#5 – Your best guy/girl friend can turn out to be your boy/girl friend.

#6 – Commuters: locate all the microwaves on campus. They will be your best friend when you’re trying to save money by packing lunches.

#7 – A quick 20-minute workout does wonders to beat stress and make you feel more energized.

#8 – Avoid the cross-campus sprint when you forget to print! Always note where the nearest printers are, according to where your classes are.  And yes, you can go into schools and colleges you don’t belong to. No one is going to yell and you or kick you out.

#9 – Enjoy your blank slate: Don’t be afraid to do something completely out of character, make a fool of yourself or try something new.

#10 – Senior year comes by fast. Take advantage of everything Miami has to offer.  Ultra, sporting events, etc. After all, you’re only young once!

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...