Good eats Around UM

Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

Navigating your way through Miami’s cuisine can be daunting, and deciding which restaurant to choose for tonight’s outing may ruin your appetite. To ease your transition into food mania, here are four must-try restaurants in our backyard.

Pizza Rustica

You’re in Miami, it’s time to be ballsy. And for a dose of culinary rebellion, don’t miss the iconic flavors of Pizza Rustica just down the street. With the original outposts in the heart of South Beach, this local eatery serves up rectangular slices of freshly prepared pizzas ranging from the traditional, pepperoni or cheese, to the innovative, chicken parmesan or shrimp al pesto. Though the menu offers panini and salads, the deal makers are found in each slice of originality, all made with a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil and 100 percent Grade A cheese. Most notably, UM students are offered a 10 percent discount.

Versailles

Tres croquetas de jamon y un café con leche, por favor. Minutes after landing at MIA, the Latin influence that makes Miami doesn’t go unnoticed. So for a crash course in basic Spanish and an authentic taste of Cuban cuisine, head over to Versailles on Calle Ocho, located in the heart of Little Havana. Join locals as they gorge into greasy samplings of rice and beans, breaded steak, or fried plantains, and take advantage of the cultural influx you’re now a part of. Having recently celebrated their 40th anniversary, the staff is on a friendly high and is sure to offer some Latin hospitality, usually all in Spanish.

OneBurger

With dripping Worcestershire sauce smothered atop green leaf lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese and Italian pancetta bacon slices, the “Fancy Bacon Cheddar” burger at OneBurger is just one of many flavorful versions of an All-American burger. The menu is divided into four sections, offering a selection of beef, chicken and turkey, seafood and vegetarian burgers for all types of food lovers. It’s located close by on Alhambra Circle in Coral Gables, but for days when heading out is too much work, OneBurger delivers … for free. Even more enticing, all UM students are offered a 20 percent discount.

Akashi

Great Japanese cuisine is hard to come by, but since 1993, Akashi has been home to a nearby institute of sushi heaven. Take advantage of the “exotic sushi rolls,” with delectable options like the “caliente” roll, filled with fried white filet, spicy mayo, lettuce and seaweed outside. The original location is a hop off the metro rail, minutes from Sunset Place, but a new location has recently opened in Coconut Grove.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...