Calm your nerves, find your niche

Yet again, a new year has started. Campus is teeming with excitement and anticipation for the fun times that lay ahead. As a freshman, it can seem overwhelming and there is plenty of different advice for how to adjust to college life. I remember the nervousness well (considering just a year ago I was in the same position), but I have also learned how to get over it. There are key ideas to keep in mind when getting settled in for this year.

Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to people. If someone looks cool, go say hi. More often than not, they’ll be glad you did. You should really try to expand your social circle and meet as many people as possible. Now is the time. Don’t worry, you’re going to forget a lot of names and faces. Keep an open mind – you could meet a future roommate in the first week (I did).

Take advantage of our campus. You will never have the same freshman experience. Explore and see what UM has to offer. Our campus is beautiful and there are a lot of cool places surrounding it. That being said, don’t forget to venture out into Miami as well.

Have fun with your classes. There will be general ones that you have to take and may not be the most interesting to you. However, if you get a bad vibe your first week of class, you should listen and see what your other options are. It’s better to switch in the first week and get a little off track than to spend a whole semester miserable.

Don’t worry about missing events or something that you wanted to do. There are so many activities to fill your time, and all you have to do is keep your eyes peeled. With that in mind, get involved. Look for clubs that seem interesting. Attend a few meetings to test the waters. Don’t forget it isn’t all about being in class.

Finally, don’t be intimidated by older students. Ask questions. Be proud to go to the U. Go to football games. Go outside your comfort zone. And most importantly, enjoy your freshman year

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Calm your nerves, find your niche”

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...