President Shalala: ‘I’ll be here for a long time’

Despite calls for her ouster amid recent allegations against the university’s athletic department, President Donna E. Shalala told The Miami Hurricane on Thursday that she plans to remain at the helm of University of Miami “for a long time.”

Although she said the details of her contract were “private,” Shalala said she isn’t going anywhere.

“Officially I’m here and I’ll be here as long as you all here and as long as I feel healthy and energetic, and I can still make contributions,” she said. “So you should not be thinking there’s some end out there. I’ll be here for a long time.”

Shalala’s comments during an exclusive interview with UM student newspaper suggests that she is apparently going to remain on board for UM’s next capital fund drive. Although it is still in the silent period, Shalala said the campaign will be announced publicly in January.

“How much it will be, we haven’t set the amount with the trustees, but it will be over a billion dollars,” she said.

UM last capital campaign, which ended in 2008, raised more than $1.4 billion – making the school the first in Florida to surpass the billion-dollar mark.

To read the rest of the interview, look out for The Miami Hurricane’s first issue, which hits stands Monday, August 22.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “President Shalala: ‘I’ll be here for a long time’”

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...