Student Health Service provides medical care

For some freshmen, college not only welcomes new freedom and responsibilities, but also transitions students into adulthood. For those in query about where to seek help in case of  illness or injury, the staff of the Student Health Service is readily available to accommodate any needs.

The Student Health Service  provides primary care medical services and select specialty care including women’s health, orthopedics, lab x-rays and pharmacy services. The staff consists of board-certified physicians and nurse practitioners who are available to diagnose and treat minor injuries, provide care for many acute and chronic illnesses and offer appropriate referrals when required.

“The doctor was helpful and genuinely concerned about me. He followed up to see how I was feeling, which I greatly appreciated,” sophomore Kendyl Green said.

Before arriving, all new students are required to provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella and must also provide proof of immunization against hepatitis B and meningococcal meningitis, or sign a waiver declining hepatitis B and meningitis immunization. All international students must also be screened for risk of tuberculosis by completing a lengthier version of the Immunization Form.

Nursing students are required to obtain additional immunizations and tuberculosis screening as described on the nursing immunization form.

“For some students, it is their first time seeing doctors without their parents,” said nurse practitioner Gisele Stark. “[To make students more comfortable] we have a good team of providers, we give counseling and we try to explain things the best we can so students know what’s going on and what precautions to take.”

While attending the University of Miami, students are required to have health insurance. Domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request cancellation of the annual fee by completing a waiver request via myUM under the “Life at UM” link.

“With school insurance almost everything here is covered completely,” said Stark. The cost of prescription medicine is also often lower at the Student Heath Service pharmacy than in other locations with school insurance.

The Student Health Service pharmacy is located on the second floor of the Health Center. It accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out of town and other off campus providers.

Students can drop off their prescriptions and come back after class to pick up their medication or stay and wait if they choose.

The online portal also allows students to make online appointments, complete forms prior to appointments and print immunization records to submit to other institutions.

The Student Health Service is located at the Student Health Center across from the Pavia Garage and in front of the Lowe Art Museum. It is open Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays 8:30 to 5 p.m., Thursdays 9 to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from Noon to 4 p.m.

After hours assistance is available by calling 305-284-9100. Important deadlines and additional information are available at miami.edu/student-health.

June 22, 2011

About Author

Kattie Maldonado

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...