Student Health Service provides medical care

For some freshmen, college not only welcomes new freedom and responsibilities, but also transitions students into adulthood. For those in query about where to seek help in case of  illness or injury, the staff of the Student Health Service is readily available to accommodate any needs.

The Student Health Service  provides primary care medical services and select specialty care including women’s health, orthopedics, lab x-rays and pharmacy services. The staff consists of board-certified physicians and nurse practitioners who are available to diagnose and treat minor injuries, provide care for many acute and chronic illnesses and offer appropriate referrals when required.

“The doctor was helpful and genuinely concerned about me. He followed up to see how I was feeling, which I greatly appreciated,” sophomore Kendyl Green said.

Before arriving, all new students are required to provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella and must also provide proof of immunization against hepatitis B and meningococcal meningitis, or sign a waiver declining hepatitis B and meningitis immunization. All international students must also be screened for risk of tuberculosis by completing a lengthier version of the Immunization Form.

Nursing students are required to obtain additional immunizations and tuberculosis screening as described on the nursing immunization form.

“For some students, it is their first time seeing doctors without their parents,” said nurse practitioner Gisele Stark. “[To make students more comfortable] we have a good team of providers, we give counseling and we try to explain things the best we can so students know what’s going on and what precautions to take.”

While attending the University of Miami, students are required to have health insurance. Domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request cancellation of the annual fee by completing a waiver request via myUM under the “Life at UM” link.

“With school insurance almost everything here is covered completely,” said Stark. The cost of prescription medicine is also often lower at the Student Heath Service pharmacy than in other locations with school insurance.

The Student Health Service pharmacy is located on the second floor of the Health Center. It accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out of town and other off campus providers.

Students can drop off their prescriptions and come back after class to pick up their medication or stay and wait if they choose.

The online portal also allows students to make online appointments, complete forms prior to appointments and print immunization records to submit to other institutions.

The Student Health Service is located at the Student Health Center across from the Pavia Garage and in front of the Lowe Art Museum. It is open Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays 8:30 to 5 p.m., Thursdays 9 to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from Noon to 4 p.m.

After hours assistance is available by calling 305-284-9100. Important deadlines and additional information are available at miami.edu/student-health.

June 22, 2011

Kattie Maldonado

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...